Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my new IS this week. just wanted to ask everyone what their favorite car care products are. i generally hand wash my cars using armor all car wash and then wash every few months. what's a good wax?

also, i've heard stories of stock rims being damaged by commercial car washes. is this true?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry if this topic has been beat to death.

i'm going to give blitz a shot. i use the car as a daily driver and i drive more miles than most people. sometimes up to 25k a year. from what i hear blitz gives you a good balance between shine and durability.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been told by a few guys that I happen to know who show cars almost on a weekly basis. They all agreed that I would want to use a wax or polish that contained no cleaners. They reccomended Mothers 100% carnuba wax w/ no cleaners. I bought some today and plan on trying it this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you want a good wax try surluster. you can get it at surluster.com. i love the results it gives. if you really want it to shine wax your car and then 2 weeks after that wax it one more time.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
i copied and pasted this from the corral forums. it is called why i like zaino.
---------------------------------------------

There's a LOT more to a polish than a shine and how long it lasts. This is the point most people seem to miss about car car products.
As a painter and detailer (and a Zaino Master!) here's what I like about Zainos...

(1) Zaino is the easiest product to apply and wipe down (assuming you have not over-applied it, and have waited long enough for it to dry). I get 16 applications per bottle and use it on my familys' and friends' cars which is why I do so many applications.

(2) Zaino lasts me *at least* 4 months, normally 6. It's hard to tell when it finally fades off becuase the Z6 gloss enhancer and Z7 wash keep up the surface integrity and shine. With just Z6 and Z7, you might think you never need anything else.

(3) It shines from the paint surface itself, not from the oily surface as all waxes do. This allows paint to show off its original color and allows metallics and "mystic" paint to look more effective.

(4) Zaino has incredible clarity and "refractive" properties which further enhance the colors--again, especially on metallics. It literally re-aligns light rays coming off the surface producing a cleaner look. It's almost like a crystal where the "crystalline" structure itself has a significant effect on light. Look it up in your encyclopedia if you must.

(5) Zaino contains no wax (unlike Meguiars 3-step and all other non-synthetic products). Wax has little durability. Carnauba is a hard, yellow, brittle wax no matter what they try to tell you. It must be softened with solvents. It its FAR from optically pure. It melts at low temps easily obtained on darker cars. Why do you think you can't apply it in the sun? Such waxes are always mixed with other cheap waxes like paraffin (candle wax). Paraffin melts around 135F. The product is no stronger than its weakest link. Zaino can withstand temps well over 300F. WELLLL over.

(6) Zaino contains no oils. Oils are a "fake shine" in my book. They temporarily hide scratches. A rain or two and the oils are gone. A while in the sun and it's vaporized. Why do you think there are speical car washes made for waxes? Because they must be so mild so as to not strip too much of the wax and oils because waxes and oils have no durabilty. Too bad the carwashes still don't help the situtation much.

(7) Zaino contains no abrasives. Most wax products contains abrasives even when they say it doesn't on the bottle. If you have a single stage paint and you see the color of your car on your applicator, you can bet there are abrasives in your product. I would rather leave abrasive products to the professional glazing industry like 3M or Presta. You can't get consistent abrasives in a departments store shelf products. They will invariablly leave scratches. EVER WONDER WEHRE THOSE SWIRLS CAME FROM??? You wash your car and go through a couple of rains or lots of sun and ask youself, "where did those from? I was so careful when I washed..." It's often from the cheap abrasivs (like SAND) in the wax itself and since the oils have rinsed off, you can now see them.

(8) Zaino contains no silicone oil. Silocone oil is NASTY and causes extreme grief for painters (fisheyes). It literally impregnates your paint and sometimes can't be dealt with except to strip to bare metal when you need paintwork. It can also change the color of your paint (darkens it).

(9) Zaino contains no solvents. Why do you think so many products smell so nasty? What do you think you are smelling? Kerosene, naptha, things you can't even pronounce. Just take a look at an MSDS of some of the products you may be using. These solvents are harsh on your paint and your hands. Zainos smells so good and *can* smell so good becauseit contains no solvents. Just smell Z2, Z5, Z6, or Z7.

(10) Zaino has REAL UV protection. Most products that say they have UV protection have no more than that naturally found in oils which is next to nothing. UV inhibito

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok i'm convinced...i'm gonna finally send in that order form i printed...

just one quesion for you zaino users...

how long does it usually take u to detail your car with the zaino products?

·
Registered
625 Posts
For the first time use of Zaino, it will take two to three days to do the first steps(your building coats on top of each other). I used it until my supply ran out and it is what everyone glorifies it to be. IMO it is a bit too much. The steps and process is extensive and long. If you dont drive your car alot and park in the garage then Zaino is perfect for you. If you drive everyday or park your car outside, where you car will constantly get dirty, then I would go with something else.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Originally posted by SupraSport:
If you drive everyday or park your car outside, where you car will constantly get dirty, then I would go with something else.
That's exactly my situation. The IS300 is a daily driver for me, and as much as I'd like a "showroom shine" I know that really isn't feasible.

I'm wondinering if anyone knows an easy way to keep the car looking good. (it doesn't have to be a mirror finish, just something nice)

[ May 10, 2001: Message edited by: soulstalker ]

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes, be prepared to spend a whole weekend on applying Zaino. You'll want to "stack" on coats of the Z-5 until the fine scraches and swirl marks are removed and then finish off with a coating of Z-2. In fact my 6 months is about up, so I'll be spending this weekend waxing the IS with Zaino.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts