Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, need some opinions/advice on welding my custom B-Pipe to extend it at least 3-4 inches. I have the JIC Full Titanium Exhaust and as you all know, it is shorter and is meant for the JDM Rear bumper. I was thinking of welding and adding an extra 3-4 inch of piping to the titanium but, found out how much it cost just for the titanium! Really expensive!:pissed: So I was thinking that I could weld it on the B-Pipe instead and extend it out.
My question is, before I take it to the shop, would that be a bad idea? I know that it may alter a lot of things but, I love this exhaust and would much appreciate it if it didn't BURN or MELT my rear bumper!!!:)
Any help or advice would be great!:)

Heres a pic of what it looks like today:

Bought the Attain Carbon Fiber exhaust guard to mask the burnt area...

·
Registered
827 Posts
get a jdm bumper!!! thats what i would do

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Disconnect the b-pipe from the catback, push it back and see if it gets in the way of anything. It may hit somewhere.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^JDM bumper is wayyy expensive! If I can find one for a decent price, I'd snatch it up...I would go that route but, don't want to have to rob a bank to have it.:)

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disconnect the b-pipe from the catback, push it back and see if it gets in the way of anything. It may hit somewhere.

I'm sure that it will hit something, but my questions is, "is it worth doing?"

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
i'm not sure, butttt i know there are aftermarket Y-pipes that are a little longer than the stock ones, i'm not sure WHAT ones they are, but i've heard some people complaining that their exhaust sticks out too far with them.
that or just add a little pipe of titanium like you said at the meet??

EDIT: I Did'nt know you had a aftermarket y-pipe, just read your sig =)

·
Registered
127 Posts
cut off the resonator fromt he B-pipe then make that a straight pipe with an extension on that pipe. it wont cause anything to go wrong. the back pressure will still be the same.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't think it would alter anything too much. You are talking about an additional 3-4 inches of piping that exhausts designed for USDM bumpers already have. Would it be possible to create a new b-pipe entirely? You could sell the one you currently have to offset the cost of fabricating a new one, and when all is said and done, you'd have a new piece of piping designed exactly for your application. If you ever decide to sell your JIC rear section, you can sell the b-pipe with it and have the marketability of a full cat-back.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Extending the b-pipe is one thing, but what about the hangers, shape of the pipes?

Reactions: is_300guy

·
Registered
827 Posts
dont mean to thread jack but how much are jdm bumpers usually?

Reactions: is_300guy

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Extending the b-pipe is one thing, but what about the hangers, shape of the pipes?
yeah i think if you extend the bpipe your exhaust will actually hit the bumper because the angle will change (i think)

well when i had a b pipe on my car it really changed the angle of the exhaust

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it would alter anything too much. You are talking about an additional 3-4 inches of piping that exhausts designed for USDM bumpers already have. Would it be possible to create a new b-pipe entirely? You could sell the one you currently have to offset the cost of fabricating a new one, and when all is said and done, you'd have a new piece of piping designed exactly for your application. If you ever decide to sell your JIC rear section, you can sell the b-pipe with it and have the marketability of a full cat-back.
Thats a good idea. I hope that it works out. Thank you for the insight!:)

Shoot! You're right, I have to see what that will do.

cut off the resonator fromt he B-pipe then make that a straight pipe with an extension on that pipe. it wont cause anything to go wrong. the back pressure will still be the same.
I hear you. Thanks.

i'm not sure, butttt i know there are aftermarket Y-pipes that are a little longer than the stock ones, i'm not sure WHAT ones they are, but i've heard some people complaining that their exhaust sticks out too far with them.
that or just add a little pipe of titanium like you said at the meet??

EDIT: I Did'nt know you had a aftermarket y-pipe, just read your sig =)

Lol! Thanks for the tip Omar.^^

dont mean to thread jack but how much are jdm bumpers usually?
Usually $300-550 depending where and who you get it from.

yeah i think if you extend the bpipe your exhaust will actually hit the bumper because the angle will change (i think)

well when i had a b pipe on my car it really changed the angle of the exhaust
I'll have the shop look at it and I'll take a closer look to see if it would be a "go" or a "no."

Thanks everyone for your ideas...any others?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Take it to any exhaust shop. They should be able to take care of that easily without messing with the Ti parts.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^I was really worried about altering or damaging the Titanium...but, hope that it works.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
well since we are on the topic, what kinda cost are we looking at here to cut out the resonator of the bpipe and replace it. Not to add extension for i have a HKS cf-ti axle back and want the thing a bit louder. This be cheaper than buying a new b pipe? cause the ones i have seen new are around 120.00. also can't find any used ones.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well since we are on the topic, what kinda cost are we looking at here to cut out the resonator of the bpipe and replace it. Not to add extension for i have a HKS cf-ti axle back and want the thing a bit louder. This be cheaper than buying a new b pipe? cause the ones i have seen new are around 120.00. also can't find any used ones.
Should be no more than $60.00 tops. I had a whole muffler and new piping installed in my DC2 for less than $50.00. So adding bout 3-4inches or replacing the cat for a straight pipe shouldn't be much at all. Maybe you can buy the shop guy lunch and call it even? Lol!:bigSmile:

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Should be no more than $60.00 tops. I had a whole muffler and new piping installed in my DC2 for less than $50.00. So adding bout 3-4inches or replacing the cat for a straight pipe shouldn't be much at all. Maybe you can buy the shop guy lunch and call it even? Lol!:bigSmile:
awesome. Thanks for reply. Im going to go check out a guy tomorrow and see what he can do.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Ok, so a paid a guy fifty bucks to get res removed and he did. Clean weld on all spots and still fits great. Sounds sweet but i cant wait to put HKS back on it. I will put exhaust, hood, trunk, front, grille, and all my other stuff i bought over the winter on in 2-3 weeks. hopefully. cf
Hood needs repainted first.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so a paid a guy fifty bucks to get res removed and he did. Clean weld on all spots and still fits great. Sounds sweet but i cant wait to put HKS back on it. I will put exhaust, hood, trunk, front, grille, and all my other stuff i bought over the winter on in 2-3 weeks. hopefully. cf
Hood needs repainted first.

Good to know! Glad everything worked out for you. Need to get mines done too....in time. Thanks for the follow up.:)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts