Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if people would recommend getting the 7year/100,000 miles warranty for the IS300 for $1395...Thanks.......about to pick up mine this weekend ....silver w/black

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Audi's extended Waranty is more than double that... Like $3300 or so (cause of the reliablity issue)..... I'll bet that since TEG is keeping his IS forever, he'll probably got the extended warranty...
Eric...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would say no. Do you really plan to have the car for 7 years or 100k miles? If so, look at the amount it costs you to finanace $1400 for 5 years ($1700 at 8%). So for the extra 3 years you pay $566/year for a warranty. Compare these numbers against the reliability of the vehicle. Obviously the IS3 is a new vehicle and has no track record for reliability but the Lexus brand is generally regarded as one of *the* most reliable vehicles. I would also guess that it is fairly expensive to repair.

Bottom line is this: do you believe that this car will rack up more than $1700 in repair bills during the last 3 years/40k miles. If not don't buy it and save the $30/month towards mainenance.

Boy that was a short and to the point kind of answer

·
Registered
125 Posts
The only reason I bought the extended warranty (7yr/100k) is that it IS transferable when you sell the vehicle which will make the car that much more valuable in the end.

------------------
Spectra Blue
Black Leather Ecsaine

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good points hurricane. Exactly the reasoning I went through when the Lexus dealer asked if I wanted an extended warranty.

Answer: Use the money to buy CDs or other toys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
BLUEBYU,
You may have been duped by a dealer trick. I do not think that the value of your used IS300 will increase by $1700 (or even the fraction that you paid when you decide to sell). I'm not flaming - just stating IMHO that this is a commpon ploy used by dealers to sell Ext. warranties.

The Positive value you get from a Ext. Warranty is a more "sellable" car (i.e. a car that stands out from identical cars). This is a good feature if you have a Chevy Corsica, but I don't think it is warrented for a IS300.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
lexus is reliable enough that i wouldn't feel the need for an extended warranty for safety
Clamster, I wish I could say that same about BMW. I hope that you have extended coverage on your new toy....
Eric...

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
6 years, 100000 miles =) i know all about german pain in the azz maintenance, the old MB had the gas gasket go bad or something, i don't remember exactly waht my dad said but it didnt' pass its recent emissions test and the gasket repair is going to be roughly 1200.. :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by hurricane:
BLUEBYU,
You may have been duped by a dealer trick. I do not think that the value of your used IS300 will increase by $1700 (or even the fraction that you paid when you decide to sell). I'm not flaming - just stating IMHO that this is a commpon ploy used by dealers to sell Ext. warranties.

The Positive value you get from a Ext. Warranty is a more "sellable" car (i.e. a car that stands out from identical cars). This is a good feature if you have a Chevy Corsica, but I don't think it is warrented for a IS300.
That is assuming you have high mileage when you decide to sell...

------------------
Spectra Blue
Black Leather Ecsaine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts