Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '01 IS w/ 26k miles and was wondering if anyone knows if there is an extended warranty we can buy through the dealer after the original warranty expires? Also how much, and is it worth it??

·
8,880 Posts
Most would agree, it is not worth it.
Just take the money you would spend on the extended warranty, put it in a bank and use it if something really breaks.
Keep in mind, it doesn't cover normal tear and wear.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any idea how much the warranty cost and how long it lasts? If it's $1500 or less I think it might be worth it to just pay for the warranty and then if anything fairly major goes bad that's pretty much one visit to the shop right there.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
not too sure about this but ..

aren't those extended warranties offered by the dealer only good at that dealer you purchased it from?
I know that once your factory ones expire, the get an extended warranty offer in the mail from the manufacturer right?

IMO, I don't think it's worth it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
dpmredwing said:
Do you have any idea how much the warranty cost and how long it lasts? If it's $1500 or less I think it might be worth it to just pay for the warranty and then if anything fairly major goes bad that's pretty much one visit to the shop right there.
Extended warranties are the BIGGEST rip offs!!

I use to sell extended warranties - it's a scam. Salespeople make fun of the customers who buy it. As soon as you buy one, they turn around and laugh at ya. It's the biggest joke in retail. They are basically selling "air" for hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
dpmredwing said:
I've got an '01 IS w/ 26k miles and was wondering if anyone knows if there is an extended warranty we can buy through the dealer after the original warranty expires? Also how much, and is it worth it??
I'm pretty certain up until 35K miles you can purchase one through the dealer. Give them a ring, and they'll know for sure...
I have to agree with everyone else though, it seems like (especially for this car) the extended warranty would be a waste.

·
Registered
343 Posts
here's the 411..

http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty_vehicle_protection/extended_service/index.html

You can purchase the Lexus Gold Extended Service Program (within current year plus 6 model years old) or the Platinum Program (car is within 36 months or 36,000 miles)..

The Gold one sounds like BS.. it only covers some basic things aside from the standard 72 month/70,000 mile powertrain warranty (like AC/heating, steering, suspension)..

The Platinum one sounds more like the bumper-to-bumper deal..

Here are the costs:

Platinum:
IS 300 ($50 deductible/$0 deductible)

6 years/70,000 miles $1,100 $1,150
6 years/100,000 miles $1,475 $1,525
7 years/100,000 miles $1,575 $1,625
Gold:
IS 300

6 years/70,000 miles $900 $950
6 years/100,000 miles $1,225 $1,275
7 years/100,000 miles $1,325 $1,375
My $0.02.. I'm not really worried about the bumper-to-bumper deal.. I'm only concerned with potential trannie and engine failure (although less likely).. but the powertrain is already covered to 7 years or 70k miles.. so.. if you're concerned about your ashtray falling apart in 5 years, then maybe the Platinum deal is for you.. but if you're only worried about the powertrain, I'd say screw it.. you'd basically be paying $1300+ (Gold) to get an additional 30k of powertrain protection.. that pays for rebuilt trannie if you ever need one.. hell, it'd even pay for a rebuilt or used motor should you require it..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts