Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my IS and the dealership offered me an extended warranty on top of the standard 4 yrs/80000kms. The extended warranty costs about $2000 Canadian and it lasts 6yrs. At the end of the 6 yrs, Lexus allows you to purchase an additional 3 yrs for another $2000 Canadian.
I am making a big investment in the car and in the company -- I should rely on the reliability of its components. Is it worth getting? I have till tomorrow to decide.

Joe
5spd IS300

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
The cost sounds high. If you're buying a new car, you will probably have a chance to buy extended warranty later on. My dealer wanted $1000 us for the 70,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

The only advantage is that the extended warranty has is that it extends the entire warranty, bumper to bumper. Your original drive train warranty is aleady pretty good.

If buying a used car, extended warranty might make more sense.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
the thing doesnt broke down all that much so the extended warranty is completely useless... atleast for me. i never went it for anything. except for tire recalls.

2001 @ 66,600mi

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
It has to be a moneymaker for Lexus or they wouldn't offer it. So on average it is not worth it.

The best one they offer covers stuff like the Nav system, which if I had to use every day or something might be worth it because I shudder to think what a new Nav sould cost.

If you are one of those "peace of mind" types it is a no-brainer -- get it!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
$2000 canadian seems high. I was offered $1400 canadian for the same coverage.

Is this the toyota/lexus extended warranty or a 3rd party warranty?

I still declined but I kinda want to buy one now just for peace of mind now cause I don't want to think about how much it would cost to fix even the smallest things in this car. $2000 seems way too high though. What dealership is it?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wasn't worth it to me. If you really want a warranty, I'm sure you can find something cheaper through another company. Just make sure it is from a legit company.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
borg said:
Wasn't worth it to me. If you really want a warranty, I'm sure you can find something cheaper through another company. Just make sure it is from a legit company.
You should be able to get 70,000 mile bumper to bumper Toyota/Lexus warranty for $1000 - $1200. US

·
Registered
887 Posts
CRB said:
It has to be a moneymaker for Lexus or they wouldn't offer it. So on average it is not worth it.

The best one they offer covers stuff like the Nav system, which if I had to use every day or something might be worth it because I shudder to think what a new Nav sould cost.

If you are one of those "peace of mind" types it is a no-brainer -- get it!
Ditto....consumer reports always suggest that "over-all" most extended warranty plans aren't worth it. But if you are the type of person who puts 25k miles plus on a car a year and don't have the extra monthly cash flow to cover expenses in the future, then I would say go for it I would say that it is easier to make a slightly higher monthly payment consistantly then shell it out unexpectedly one month. Just use your judgement on your budget and if it can take a surprise.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I say go for it!

I've asked the same question a couple of times on this forum and the general consensus seems to be NO. However I think when my car reaches the 3 yr/36K point I am going to invest in the warranty.
It just seems like a smart thing to do considering one or two trips to the dealership could equal the entire warranty. I just had to replace the stupid trunk liner ($375) because when I was trying to get my spare tire out one of the metal braces popped off of the back of the liner and it wouldn't sit flush anymore.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Re: I say go for it!

dpmredwing said:
I've asked the same question a couple of times on this forum and the general consensus seems to be NO. However I think when my car reaches the 3 yr/36K point I am going to invest in the warranty.
It just seems like a smart thing to do considering one or two trips to the dealership could equal the entire warranty. I just had to replace the stupid trunk liner ($375) because when I was trying to get my spare tire out one of the metal braces popped off of the back of the liner and it wouldn't sit flush anymore.
why not wait until 4 yr/5ok since the bumper to bumper covers you until then

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Re: I say go for it!

XCstud said:
dpmredwing said:
why not wait until 4 yr/5ok since the bumper to bumper covers you until then
I thought that was only 36K?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts