Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my HKS drager for about 5,000 miles now (includes a 1900 mile relocation trip to St. Louis), and my exhaust tip looks like it's turning a gold hue. Could just be the road reflection, but any suggestions for cleaning the tip and muffler, i.e. cleaning products/brands? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Mother's makes a Mag cleaner in a paste can. this with a nice clean towel will clean it right up. in-between polishing sessions, you can use a spray mag cleaner for chrome wheels.

SophieSleeps has posted an excellent thread on how to polish all piping. i would suggest doing a search. i think the thread was called "polish pipes the sophiesleeps way" or something along those lines.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Now that I think of it, my HKS exhaust on my S2000 is turning that same color. I have used something called "Blue Magic" on some of my other cars and it work pretty good. A bit messy, but it gets the job done. I will try to see if it works on the HKS and will let you know before you buy it (found it at AutoZone).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just tried it out, and it works pretty good. I don't know the extent of coloration you are getting, but mine was minimal. I just did a little spot and it seemed to clear it up. I only had time for one coat, but I would imagine a second one would make it even better.

I am pretty sure the stuff was pretty inexpensive, so it's not too big of a deal if it doesn't work for you. I know for a fact though that it does work nicely to get foggyness off the outer headlight shells, grime on exhaust tips, and some other things.

Oh, and don't be afraid to really work the polish in.
Good luck!

Matt

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've used "Bar Keepers Friend." I bought a set of All Clad cookware not so long ago in which they suggested using Bar Keepers Friend to remove water spots and mineral deposits. So I tried it on my exhaust tip and it worked great. I have over 70,000 miles on my IS and my tip never looked so good. It comes in a powder/clenser form, just mix with a little water to form a paste, rub it on the chrome, let it sit for one minute and remove with a soft cloth, no hard scrubbing needed. I wish I would have done some before and after photos but I honestly thought as nasty as my tip was there would be no way anything could make it look that nice in one shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts