Lexus IS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks. Ill guarantee you'll be happy with the Ti-C.

·
Mr. Roo
9,230 Posts
I can finally contribute.

Exhaust: HKS Dragger II Axleback (stock b pipe)
Intake: SRT
Header/Y-Pipe?: Stock

Rating:
-Loudness: 3
-Quality: 10
-Overall: How it should have sounded stock, just enough volume to hear without being bassy and drony.

Comments:
If you want a smooth tone like the G35, get an axleback. Though my brother's G35 is louder than the HKS. Go with a full catback for more volume, bass, and growl.

The HKS is definitely not loud or bassy compared to the full exhaust I had on the Corolla. It is actually hard to hear the exhaust separately from the engine and intake. Like I said, a very OEM-sounding setup without being ricey, or an imitation. It's definitely nice to have this exhaust when there's a police officer behind me lol, no worries.

The exhaust sound completely vanishes at 80+ MPH. Otherwise, you'll hear it at 55-65 MPH, though no problem listening to music or having a conversation.

High-quality video, recording from 3 angles in 1080p HD.

IS300 HKS Dragger II exhaust and SRT intake sound

·
Mr. Roo
9,230 Posts
And another exhaust.

Exhaust: Greddy Evo II Catback

Rating:
-Overall: Has a very unique growly badass sound.

Comments:
I just replaced the HKS with this Greddy. I haven't driven with it yet, but my initial impression is great. The volume is the same, though it's less bassy I think. While the axleback was smooth, this catback has a very unique growl to it.

While the entire exhaust fits very nicely, the tip itself is a bit low on the bumper. Oh well. I like this style of muffler/tip over the can type.

Another high-quality video, recording from the same 3 angles as before in 1080p HD.

IS300 Greddy Evo II exhaust and SRT intake sound

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really dig the HKS sound. I like the low tone of it a bit more on the HKS than the Greddy but still really like the both of them. Where can i get the muffler only? I Have my own piping I'd like to use that and not buy a whole exhaust system if i don't need it. Nice exhaust TobiasSing.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Exhaust: 3in HKS
Intake: AEM (ive had them all)
Header/Y-Pipe?: Mazzuri V2(wrapped and sealed) , Custom 3in y pipe
BC 264 cams ,retainers , springs and valves

Rating:
-Loudness: 9.9
-Overall: Not Daily driver quiet but its beast mode of exhaust notes

Comments: As some of you know i was one of the few that did build a true NA 2jz and have had dozens of diff exhaust / intake/heads/bolt on parts..I wouldnt do this set up for daily driver. Its very loud but to me sounds awesome , very expensive....main reason for this set up is Im now supercharged...But this was one of the last vids NA
enjoy

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I can finally contribute.

Exhaust: HKS Dragger II Axleback (stock b pipe)

Rating:
-Overall: How it should have sounded stock, just enough volume to hear without being bassy and drony.

Comments:
If you want a smooth tone like the G35, get an axleback. Though my brother's G35 is louder than the HKS. Go with a full catback for more volume, bass, and growl.

The HKS is definitely not loud or bassy compared to the full exhaust I had on the Corolla. It is actually hard to hear the exhaust separately from the engine and intake. Like I said, a very OEM-sounding setup without being ricey, or an imitation. It's definitely nice to have this exhaust when there's a police officer behind me lol, no worries.

The exhaust sound completely vanishes at 80+ MPH. Otherwise, you'll hear it at 55-65 MPH, though no problem listening to music or having a conversation.

High-quality video, recording from 3 angles in 1080p HD.
wow the Dragger II is reaaaaally quiet. Very stock sounding.. i can hear the SRT more than the exhaust lol.

And another exhaust.

Exhaust: Greddy Evo II Catback

Rating:
-Overall: Has a very unique growly badass sound.

Comments:
I just replaced the HKS with this Greddy. I haven't driven with it yet, but my initial impression is great. The volume is the same, though it's less bassy I think. While the axleback was smooth, this catback has a very unique growl to it.

While the entire exhaust fits very nicely, the tip itself is a bit low on the bumper. Oh well. I like this style of muffler/tip over the can type.

Another high-quality video, recording from the same 3 angles as before in 1080p HD.
I'm pretty impressed with the Greddy.. hearing it start up makes me tingle.. haha. this is exactly what i like.. nice deep sound but not overly loud at all. you got me sold on this.. too bad it's discontinued tho. nice buy man

·
Mr. Roo
9,230 Posts
It's about time this thread finally got stickied!

I really dig the HKS sound. I like the low tone of it a bit more on the HKS than the Greddy but still really like the both of them. Where can i get the muffler only? I Have my own piping I'd like to use that and not buy a whole exhaust system if i don't need it. Nice exhaust TobiasSing.
The HKS is a very good exhaust, and it has a very refined sound. But I found it completely boring, and honestly like it could have been on a 4-banger. Not ricey in anyway... just... meh. Too smooth, too even, too predictable! But I got it locally because I couldn't find the Greddy Evo, it was only temporary from the start.

I'm sure you can find HKS and Greddy mufflers anywhere to weld with your own piping. Of course, that won't sound like my videos lol :)

wow the Dragger II is reaaaaally quiet. Very stock sounding.. i can hear the SRT more than the exhaust lol.
I find they both are approximately the same volume on average, though each is louder at certain points. I think the Greddy has a more even volume over the rev range. Like I said, the Dragger is what I wanted the car to sound like stock!

I'm pretty impressed with the Greddy.. hearing it start up makes me tingle.. haha. this is exactly what i like.. nice deep sound but not overly loud at all. you got me sold on this.. too bad it's discontinued tho. nice buy man
I drove the Greddy to work for the first time today (first time with it on the highway), and after a day in the office, I wasn't thinking about it. But MAN I started it up and had to give it a few revs in the garage... OMG haha. It is not too loud, not too bassy. It's more a punchy sound. Driving on the highway was more pleasant with the Greddy, like I said, it's more even sounding across the revs. But yeah I've been wanting this exhaust since Day 1, it's the only one that has the distinctive sound I've desired :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thinking about getting this ?

Has anyone have Megan racing type mr exhaust? There's 4 different types na type turbo type drift spec and type 2 there really wasn't any sound clips on YouTube thinking of buying it but not sure the type any one has this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Exhaust: Tanabe Medalion Concept G
Header/Y-Pipe?: n/a
Rating: 7
-Loudness: 1
-Quality: 9
-Overall 7

extremely quiet, can barely even hear in cabin. my intake is almost louder. but if you're on it- it's got a beautiful sound. just wish it could be a little louder

·
Registered
137 Posts
Exhaust: Apexi WS2
Header/ Y pipe: Megan Y pipe
Rating: 10
Loudness:5
Quality:10
Overall:10

Like anyone else who considered the WS2 for an exhaust, I wanted something relatively quiet. I was content for the longest time just having the axle back with an exhaust note slight deeper than stock. Well, I got board and watched one too many videos of IS's with mean sounding exhausts so I picked up a Megan y-pipe and I'm quite pleased with how it sounds now. Still no drone while cruising and it just sounds all that more aggressive at low speeds or WOT.

cell phone vid
IS300 WS2 exhaust - YouTube

·
Registered
137 Posts
@ D-Lish: I would have scored it more or less the same. but maybe a 1 or 2 for loudness.
In my opinion, without the y-pipe, the WS2 was barely noticeable over stock. In cabin it sounded pretty much the same; standing outside the car, its sounded a tad bit deeper, but to anyone else it sounds like a stock exhaust. With the addition of the y-pipe I can definitely hear it more while driving, but again not by much. With my SRT intake installed I can barely hear it over the intake noise at WOT.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exhaust: Spec-D Tuning Catback
Header/Y-Pipe?: stock/stock
Rating: 6.5/7
-Loudness: 4
-Quality:10
-Overall: 7.5/8
Comments: At cruising speeds it is quiet with a small amount of drone. When you give it some gas to merge it sounds very aggressive. The exhaust makes me want to get a header and/or ypipe just to have it louder. It sounds like a v8 with a low deep rumble when taking off calmly from a stop light until you get on it. That is when it sounds mean but very beautiful.
(excuse the camera angle. I thought it was the right way when I set it down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Exhaust: Top Speed Pro-1 Cat-back
Header/Y-pipe: Stock
Rating: 8
-Loudness:7
-Quality:9
-Overall:8
Comments: Great system for the money, quality is great and fitment was super easy and nice. I get compliments on a weekly basis on how great it sounds. No rasp and a very deep almost German sound. I would recommend it.

201 - 220 of 241 Posts
About this Discussion
240 Replies
130 Participants
footeking
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing