Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the HKS carbon Ti hiper and the stainless steal pipe was pretty much crimped in a freak accident type thing so now I've been driving around with awesome low end lol, but want things back to "normal".

Took my car to my brother's friends shop and was quoted $85 to have that part of the bent F'ed up pipe replaced with Aluminum (asked about aluminum working well with stainless and was told it would be ok). Can't remember if he is replacing all the piping and retaining the canister and gasket or just weilding in the aluminum piping in the 5inch area where the original piping became somewhat crushed/crimped.

Sound like a good deal? Is the use of Aluminum with the rest of the stainless steal exhaust cool?

B.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
If it's an exhaust shop they should be able to replace it w/stainless just like what's being cut out. I'd ask for them to do that.

It's a PITA to weld diff metals together compared to welding 2 pieces of the same material. Not to mention the heat transfer rate of each material is different. The stainless and the aluminum will expand and contract at different rates(potential cracking).

Reactions: BlackSportD

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^+rep, Thanks for the info, I was hessitant with finding out its a different metal, and I do not recal Aluminum being used for exhuast often, and am afraid of the different characteristics but he re-assured me.
Its not an exhuast shop and he explained he is not using steal for that reason, he does not have the pre-bent pipes or the bending ability. Just thought I'd go there for the hooked up price, but now debating on just taking it to a bigger more capable shop.

Oh yeah he said that aluminum weilds well with steal and he would be using electric weilding, but yeah still worried of different radious expansion causing cracking.

B.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts