Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If you don't care about a rusty exhaust tip and sounding like a weed wacker, go for it. I would personally recommend a good quality axle back or cat back. HKS, Apex'i, and GReddy all make real high quality pipes.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
andyyyy said:
does the brand of the exhaust really matter? or can i just get a muffler off ebay and get custome piping in an exhaust shop? anyone opinions? cuz i saw this muffler on ebay, not sure..if its good or..if it really matters if it doesnt have a brand http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQitemZ7996411441QQrdZ1
thx
use search... ex. found

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=261646&highlight=muffler

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=262404&highlight=muffler

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
if you want to take a chance on a no name exhaust go ahead...its the risk you take...but remember you get what you pay for...honestly, i would just save the money and get a name that is reliable...i would rather read that you have a "tanabe exhaust or hks exhaust" rather than an "ebay exhaust or BOMZ exhaust" or whatever they are called...

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
btw the post above is talkin about other exhausts...i honestly don't know anything but the obx one..and you should go for a exhaust system instead of a tip...but one thing i do know is that they make nice sidemarkers!

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Jeez guys I dare anyone of one of you to come up with EXPERIENCE with any of the Ebay exhaust!!!

I bet NONE of you can!!!

I on the otherhand have done the Ebay $20 exhaust and I will tell you, if you are looking for an exhaust with excellent sound, above average quality and dont mind droning, the ebay one is for you!!! the Ebay one I had has a much better sound than the Dragger II I have now, so why the change? Well I bought this car cos I wanted a daily driver that was quiet, the stock setup was soooo quiet that I couldnt hear the exhaust for rev-matching. I wanted something with just a little more sound so I can hear it. The Ebay one was very good but a bit louder in cabin than what I needed it for. So I took it off and got the dragger for a great price used (main reason I got swapped). The Dragger is a lot quieter in cabin, outside on the other hand, I cant say it is any different in loudness. For some reason, the ebay one sounded much more powerful than the dragger outside and I made a few videos with the ebay unit and could hardly get the sound on CD since it is that subtle when driving. Its just that damn 2800-3200RPM window that drrones on the HWY. With the silencer in, there is ZERO drone, but the silencer will rasp when you go WOT.

Why dont you read this thread I started a while back about my experiences with the Ebay unit...

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=262404

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Damn I went so off track with this, crap started by people with NO experience with something gets me heated up!

Anyway, the OBX unit was what I was going to try since the ONLY difference between the Dragger and the Ebay Apexi knockoff was that the Dragger had more packing material. The OBX does too per lenght of the mufler. I figured the packing material is what kept the drone levels down. I was going to get that but got such a deal on the used dragger from a local member that I went that way instead. I didnt have to wait for it to arrive by mail etc and I could try it out/install the following day so it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I'm not trying to start some stupid pissing contest, but you just went off about how great your ebay exhaust was. Then you explained that you had to change it because it droned...

I totally agree with you about firsthand experience, I just don't think you validated your point very well. People just automatically assume the knockoffs are bad because 90% of the time you get what you pay for. You can't argue with that.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Split2nd said:
If you don't care about a rusty exhaust tip and sounding like a weed wacker, go for it....blah blah ..... all make real high quality pipes.
here is a GREAT reason why I explained how great the Ebay unit was. My EXPERIENCE had NONE of the above in it, and I had the exhaust for as long as I have had the car, just changed it about 2-3 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
pinoyballah said:
if you want to take a chance on a no name exhaust go ahead...its the risk you take...but remember you get what you pay for...honestly, i would just save the money and get a name that is reliable...i would rather read that you have a "tanabe exhaust or hks exhaust" rather than an "ebay exhaust or BOMZ exhaust" or whatever they are called...
And another, hell Toyotaowns you has run low 14s with the Bomz intake and greddy catback alone!!!

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
My point! A pipe is a pipe regardless of who puts their name plate on it. And in this case they are all made of Stainless steel, not much you can do to go wrong there if the welds are of good quality (and they are)!

Not to mention I have heard of droning on some HKS exhausts as well. And I know the Dragger will be worse than the Ebay unit if i were to add a header. Luckily I dont intend to (not anymore at least lol)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
kponti said:
Jeez guys I dare anyone of one of you to come up with EXPERIENCE with any of the Ebay exhaust!!!

I bet NONE of you can!!!
Because we buy quality parts the first time around. You get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Split2nd said:
Because we buy quality parts the first time around. You get what you pay for.
And quality is directly proportional to higher prices right??? Then Why T.F. arent you driving a 330i right now?? Me its cos I want to keep the car for a while and I am not so sure I want to foot the bill of repairing a bimmer at this moment.

Note: The ebay units are of very good quality, I cannot honestly say that the dragger II I have will outlast it in anyway.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I think its the luck of the draw on the cheap ones, i bought a cheapo one off ebay for my brothers honda and its a pile, then he forked out the cash and bought an hks and its ten times better, sound looks, you name it. And i have the dragger II and i love it, i have no drone at all. Got it on ebay for 230 new after shipping.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was in the same problem, i didnt feel like paying like 386 for a decent exhaust but then i realized how much i loved my car and that it only deserves the best. So i went with the HKS drager II and it is a quality exhaust. Giving both performance and sound. it isnt crazy loud like the greddy evo2 but it loud when im just floorin it on the highway. im pretty happy with it, and im sure you would be too. give it a shot, there is no point in buy a 150 exhaust and deal with the hassle later. and it also might not fit, might be low quality, or cant handle the heat and break. go with the hks drager II
-dante

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
^^^Thanks for a mature answer on the thread, but I will have to say your doubts about the low quality and heat handling are unfounded. Being that they are all made of the SAME material, one CANNOT be that much better than the other. What you do pay for with the HKS products is the extra packing materials used to reduce drone and a pipe linking it to the rest of the exhaust on the car. Is it worth an extra 150-300 dollars? well thats for the buyer to decide. But you cant say the other is of inferior quality when there is no bases for that other than price and a name stamp.

A good example is the Megan Headers, Alpha werks and the Toyomoto ones. Of course the Megans were touted to be of such low quality by all the professionals who have never seen it in real life before. That was until Dasgalloway bought one to test and realised that he was staring at a Toyomoto/Aphawerks header with a different name badge. He said it was so much alike that he didnt even test them against each other, not worth the time or effort considering the projected outcome.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
lextasy623 said:
I think its the luck of the draw on the cheap ones, i bought a cheapo one off ebay for my brothers honda and its a pile, then he forked out the cash and bought an hks and its ten times better, sound looks, you name it.
i totally agree...like i said before its the risk you take..you can find good ones and you can find bad ones...for these types of items you need to have enough people who would back up the product so that it has a significant reputation..one example of this, is the joez intake...this is basically the same thing as all those other custom intakes that people make..but check the forsale forum, people would rather spend money on the joez than the custom intake even though people charge double the price...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree with the above statement. If you want something don't be scared to buy used. Most exhaust and intakes will still be good. An intake for the most part is a tube. Thats genrally pretty hard to go bad. The filter maybe bur the tube is good. Same can be said for exhausts although the exhaust will show more wear and tear(Its on the outside of the vehicle rather than under a hood).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts