Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have stock headers/exhaust and an after market y-pipe. I'm looking to buy an exhaust to add to my car. I saw the group buy being offered by l-tuned but those all appear to be rear section. What difference would getting a cat back vs. a rear section exhaust only make? I'm looking for something that has a good deep sound but isn't over the top loud. Would I get any additional gains by getting cat back vs. rear section?

lots of rep for good answers and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
the difference in gain is minimal between the cat-back and axle back exhaust...i would say about 5-7hp at most....but theortically cat-back should give you better flow since it also includes its own resonator that's supposed to have less restriction. Also, cat-backs usually sounds better when compared to axle-backs because of the different resonators that are being used.
i used to own a greddy sp2 cat-back exhaust and it sounded very nice..almost like a G35....i suggest you don't get the greddy evo2 if you want something reasonably quiet....
i'm running a blitz nurspec along with an aftermarket header now and it sounds like a hair blowdryer when i floor it. but this may be too quiet for your purpose..

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Currently I have stock headers/exhaust and an after market y-pipe. I'm looking to buy an exhaust to add to my car. I saw the group buy being offered by l-tuned but those all appear to be rear section. What difference would getting a cat back vs. a rear section exhaust only make? I'm looking for something that has a good deep sound but isn't over the top loud. Would I get any additional gains by getting cat back vs. rear section?

lots of rep for good answers and suggestions.
Hi there. Happy New Year!

Way back when I did the research and settled on the Axleback L-Sportline which is quiet (meaning no highway drone) and looks subtle. My next choice was the catback Apexi WS for the same reason. The decider was price: I got a great closeout deal on the L-Sport.

Powerwise, I found that the main restriction (apart from the headers) is in the rear section. Someone posted a stock muffler pic cut open which showed that there is a spring loaded flap that opens under hard acceleration which I suppose helps keep it really quiet but really plugs up the exhaust. The L-tuned exhaust is of course an axleback and according to Lexus gave an additional 8hp (presumably at the crank) which is very respectable. The design of the rear section will drive sound and mid range of top end power. The B-pipe will make little difference.

So my 2 cents would be to not dwell too much on the differences between cat back or axle back. Rather I would focus on sound and looks. The looks part is easy but the sound bit has to be heard in person because it is so subjective.

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
I would say one of the best exhaust is the HKS drager II, it has really nice sound (Not Rice & Not Loud), perfect fitment, and it looks nice.

Reactions: acumenhokie

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I second CEB's emotion! Go with sound and looks. I think performance-wise axlebacks and catbacks are all pretty equal on the IS300 (5-9 RWHP).

The only difference is the b-pipe. While I have never cut one open, I think the stock one is straight through, but with a hump in the middle, to keep the sound down.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
well i added an aftermarket b-pipe w/ my xerd y pipe and i noticed the car slowed down a lot. the main thing i noticed is my lost in the third gear pull.

just my 2 cents

Reactions: acumenhokie

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
if u want something cheap, looks good, and sounds good (not too loud though) i would get a magnaflow universal or borla universal. the nice thing about these is that they are very easy to install and you can pick the tip u want. They are just the mufflers but it is easy to add your own piping.
I personally have a magnaflow. At first i thought it was too quiet but its nice with wot and my aem intake. And its hella loud in tunnels!!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
if you want to get crazy take off the rear section than the little b-pipe section. the sound is AMAZING!!!! you sound like a champ car or lemans car. its fun at 3am lol try it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
if you want to get crazy take off the rear section than the little b-pipe section. the sound is AMAZING!!!! you sound like a champ car or lemans car. its fun at 3am lol try it!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts