Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my Drager II from Carson Toyota and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. One of my roomates manages a service station and I was hoping that he might help me with the install. The problem is that he INSISTS that you need to heat up the bolts with a torch before trying to take off the bolts...otherwise you risk breaking them. Unfortunately, he doesn't have access to a torch. I, on the other hand haven't heard ANYONE on this board mention that you have to torch the bolts first. My roomate DOES have access to an air ratchet, and its my opinion that would do the trick perfectly. I also looked at the how to guide on this site, and it mentioned nothing about heating the bolts.

Can I get as many responses on this as possible please from people who have done an exhaust install themselves? If I'm right and enough of you back me up on this, then maybe he'll help me out and save me the $50. 8)

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
out of the many many exhausts i've installed, we only had to heat up the bolts on maybe two or three bolts...don't ask me how many i've done...i can't count that high... :p

·
$lores amongst us!
10,974 Posts
If the Dragger II exhaust is an after CAT exhaust there is no need to torch the bolts. All you need is a wrench and some bolt loosener to free the bolts. It's a very simple install.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey BigJoe!!! I was the tall goofy white guy standing next to you when you had your car dynoed at PHR! How's the ride?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Your roomate sounds about right for taking no chances. It is a bolt on a cat-back, but it is still ultra-heated. Anytime you have heat cycling it's always a good idea to loosen the bolt with a bit of heat.

But is it absolutely necessary? By the relative lack of broken bolts, probably not.

But would you liek to take that chance?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I never had to heat the bolts. Just used an impact wrench and the bolts came loose no fuss. In fact I've changed my exhaust out twice (well not me but I was there) and it was a piece of cake. The bolts were hot from driving it prior to install if that matters at all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
rllis300 said:
I never had to heat the bolts. Just used an impact wrench and the bolts came loose no fuss. In fact I've changed my exhaust out twice (well not me but I was there) and it was a piece of cake. The bolts were hot from driving it prior to install if that matters at all.
Yeah, i think one way to heat them is to drive around for awhile. When i installed my exhaust i had just driven from LA to riverside (60 miles). The bolts came loose with not too much force, which was suprising considering how difficult most people said it was. The only thing you have to watch out for is not burning yourself :eek:

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I wouldnt think you would have to heat them up. Maybe spray something on them to loosen rust. But that is about it. You oughta be fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just installed my dragger 2 about 3 hours ago. It was easy as pie. I didn't need any lube, or breaker bar. It took a total of 15 minutes from the time I jacked up the car, until I lowered back down. I used a floor jack, a couple of jack stands for safety, and a regular 1/2" drive socket wrenchw/ no extention. Just do it ,it it's super easy :D

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yeah, installing the Drager II is way too easy. Just take of 2 bolts and 4 hangers, put on the new exhaust, put back the 2 bolts and 4 hangers, and your done. Like magic. :lol:

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Our cars are all relatively new and in good condition. No need to heat up the bolts.

·
$lores amongst us!
10,974 Posts
craniac24 said:
Hey BigJoe!!! I was the tall goofy white guy standing next to you when you had your car dynoed at PHR! How's the ride?
The car is doing quite well. I still love listening to the Hiper at WOT. Man , if you don't have one I would suggest you get one.

PEACE

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be doing the install in the next couple of days....I'll get back to you to post a short review! 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
craniac24
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing