Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So here's a preliminary picture until I clean the car and get my "new" 18's mounted up with 215/35/18 and 225/40/18 Federal 595's. I'm curious to see if the 225's will fit up front and then go with a 245 out back.

For those interested, here's how I did the install...

1. Take the OEM mitsubishi mounting tabs off. They're held on by allen head bolts. Take note that the IS300 chassis holes are ~17.5" apart. the Evo seat rails are ~15" inside-to-inside, and ~17" outside-to-outside.

2. To make your own rails, start with a piece of steel. I used 2" wide by 1/8" thick pieces. Cutting them to 19" will give plenty of room to drill the chassis mounting holes. The width of the rails will give enough room to make the mounting holes for the seat.

3. Place the strap over the chassis holes and mark out where they need to be bent. Go to the vice and bend the rails. Be sure to test fit them often because the metal WILL fatigue if you have to bend it backwards.

4. place the straps back over the mounting holes and mark the location of the holes. I placed them near the outer side of the straps. This allows the seat rails the be fully on top of the mounting straps.

5. Mount the straps and put the seat on top. Mark out where you want the seat. I mounted the evo rails dead center on the straps.

6.a. Once they're marked out, pull the seats and rails out. Measure the evo rail mounting holes (the stock ones) and transfer them onto the rail. Drill holes for them and attach with nylock nuts and allen head bolts. Regular hex head bolts won't fit inside the slider. Make sure to measure the straps in the car and keep the spacing consistent.

6.b. I don't really care about being able to take off the rails from the straps, so before I removed the straps from the car, I tacked the straps to a cross piece to keep the orientation. I then took the straps off, centered them on the evo rails, and welded them on. I did 1" welds on the leading and trailing edges as well as the centers on the inside and outside of the rails.

7. Take off the IS300 seat belts. The Lexus bolts will go into the Evo seat belt mounting holes, so no problem there. Take note that with the seatbelt light will NOT come on if the wires are not plugged in. However, the airbag light will come on and the SRS system will be inoperative.

8. Mount up the seat and enjoy!

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Looks good, but what about the rear leather seats? I think it will look weird because they are mismatched. +rep for being different.

If you answered the question in your post then disregard mine because I didn't read the whole thing..lol. I'm a pictures guy...lol

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
wow. i love these seats- always have. i may do this sometime in the future.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chigger: no pics of the rails ... they're just pieces of flat steel with two holes and some welds =P

Kraven: yeah, it looks a bit strange with the rear leather seats, so I just took them out! I may reupholster them later with the same blue/black color scheme, but probably all cloth. Leather just doesn't do it for me.

I just got tired of the leather seats that came stock. I do a lot of road racing at the local track and didn't enjoy hanging on for dear life around every turn. Another added bonus is that, for us tall guys, is that the seats are about 5-6" lower than the stock seats. This places the shifter "higher," so I don't have to reach down by my knee to shift. Overall, the whole car just FEELS better now. Probably the best mod I've done thus far =)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
baadhabit: I didn't modify the rails other than taking the oem Evo mounts off. I welded the metal straps to the sliders because I didn't want to go through the hassle of measuring the seat mounting holes. The last time I did it, it took WAY too long (double checking then double checking again) before I got it right. Welding it got it right the first time in less time.

endless: you can get an airbag simulator (it's just a resistor) and the airbags will work again. I prefer not to have mine active, just because they freak me out. Considering how far back I sit, the chances of me hitting the steering wheel are slim (I'm 6'5"), so having the airbag is just another way to get dumb injuries (burns, broken bones, etc.)

·
Registered
538 Posts
That is funny that somone else did this mod also. I went ahead and reupholstered the evo seats before I put them in the IS. I purchased an IS Recaro rail and stripped the EVo rail tabs and welded the exiting rail to the IS rail and now they are fully fuctional in the IS.
I will go down to the garage tomorrow and post some pics

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I paid 400 for the pair locally. My friend paid almost 1000 shipped for his evo8 seats, but they were in a little bit better initial condition. I just cleaned mine and they look just as good as his =)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
good right up man..

For those out there get the Evo IX seats or the Special Ed. Leather ones..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts