Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey....I have been having shifting problems lately and I already brought my car in for warranty. The question is....you people with the plp ss, have you guys had shifting problems? Changing the tranny oil didnt help at all. I stuck in my stock shifter and the problem is still there. Need feedback!!!

1. It could be my tranny just acting up
2. The plp short shifter might have damaged the tranny

After I solve this issue with my tranny, im having some skeptical thought whether to buy a new plp gen3 ss which is posted on their site, "Coming out soon" or switch to b&m. Or worst comes to worst, im gonna just leave it stock. But I ABSOLUTELY HATE how the stock shifter is so high. The b&m also sits pretty high for a short shifter. Need advice please.

·
Registered
323 Posts
what kind of shifting problems? .... it wont go into gear or what?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Never had any problems with mine at all. Sorry--can't help ya. Do you think the clutch is worn out and that might be causing your problem?

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
problem is probably the shifter. apparently its designed so that when you go into 2nd and 4th gear, theres no stop, so the shifter actually goes further than it should for the tranny. can easily damamge the tranny. i have the plp ss, and i have not experienced trouble, but thats the only flaw i knwo of with it. the b&m, however, does have the stop, and doesnt "overthrow" like the plp

i think plp may have corrected the problem, as they are on gen 3 ro 4 by now

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
every car is different, drove 3 other .netters car, 1 i drove xxpoisonxx = his car is the best tranny ever made?- it "flakes into gears:"
my problem : hard to get into 2nd gear, done many royal purple and nothing will change that the fact don't wanna go in smooth. (i have b&m at the moment, going to be on the selling form soon, switching to plp gen 2)
the other one i drove had trouble going into reverse

fact: changing the shifter will not change the smoothness going into gears

I am switching to plp cuz simply, i drove xxpoisonxx's car.
the "in between throw" between 50% reduced b&m; and stock throw ,plp is perfect for me, matchs 100% of my heel and toe timing.

i can careless about any whine if any shifter can solve my problem.

Gen 3 plp?? forget about it.
i tried to call plp, you know what they said to me?
" we're woking on other project right now, we are completely sold out on the plp gen 2, you can try b&m main while if u really want one, however we don't have the layout for gen 3 yet"

give it another year maybe?

B&m : every clicks nicely as they go in, 1-2nd, 3-4th is like from N to 3 or Nto 4 on a stock shifter. very stiff, it goes away a lil but still, you have to get use to it. i guess u can give it a try maybe you'll like it

hope this helps.

Reactions: E12iC46

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The shifting problems are that I sometimes cant get into 2nd gear. I have to reclutch and play with it a little before it goes in. I usually put it in 3rd or 4th so everything lines up correctly before it is able to get into 2nd. It almost feels as if something in the tranny is shifting over too much. However for 3rd gear, after I release the clutch, the shifter vibrates. When I let off the gas, I can feel the shifter pulling back about half a cm. I took it to lexus and showed the tech the problem. He said for the 2nd gear..he thinks its the clutch not engaging on it and for the vibration on 3rd, it has something to do with the tranny.

Ive heard some stories where short shifters can f'up ur tranny. I have an 04 and I think it might have something to do with the clutch but cant see why...I dont ride clutch and do crazy burnouts or stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
asukadc said:
Gen 3 plp?? forget about it.
i tried to call plp, you know what they said to me?
" we're woking on other project right now, we are completely sold out on the plp gen 2, you can try b&m main while if u really want one, however we don't have the layout for gen 3 yet"
lol....that's what that jackass told me too. It was a guy huh. I hung up on his ass when he told me that. He's like.."there's some b&m ones out there that are pretty decent". My response to that was,"uuuuuuuuuhhhhhh" then I hung up on him.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
E12iC46 said:
lol....that's what that jackass told me too. It was a guy huh. I hung up on his ass when he told me that. He's like.."there's some b&m ones out there that are pretty decent". My response to that was,"uuuuuuuuuhhhhhh" then I hung up on him.

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :fool:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
E12iC46 said:
The shifting problems are that I sometimes cant get into 2nd gear. I have to reclutch and play with it a little before it goes in. I usually put it in 3rd or 4th so everything lines up correctly before it is able to get into 2nd. It almost feels as if something in the tranny is shifting over too much. However for 3rd gear, after I release the clutch, the shifter vibrates. When I let off the gas, I can feel the shifter pulling back about half a cm. I took it to lexus and showed the tech the problem. He said for the 2nd gear..he thinks its the clutch not engaging on it and for the vibration on 3rd, it has something to do with the tranny.

Ive heard some stories where short shifters can f'up ur tranny. I have an 04 and I think it might have something to do with the clutch but cant see why...I dont ride clutch and do crazy burnouts or stuff like that.
My gear boxed started doing everything you just explained last night. Gears wouldn't go in at all unless i played with it for like a minute or forced it in. Was this covered in your warranty? Have you had your fixed yet, what did they replace, clutch, tranny?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flyingcxp said:
My gear boxed started doing everything you just explained last night. Gears wouldn't go in at all unless i played with it for like a minute or forced it in. Was this covered in your warranty? Have you had your fixed yet, what did they replace, clutch, tranny?
pmed. Ill tell you what the main problem is after they fix it so you can give the techs at lexus a heads up on what the problem is. That's if they even get it fixed...who knows, they might end up dropping a new tranny and clutch in like what happen to some others lol.

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
Plp

E12iC46 said:
I sent them an email asking about the Gen3 and if it would correct some of the design flaws from the GenII. They replied with; "there are no design flaws". I told them they should do a search on this site. I also asked if they could give me any information on the Gen3 like why are they coming out with one but he didn't have ANY information. That BS!

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
I've have also been reading up on all the threads having to do with the PLP and B&M short shifter. The consensus seems to be the B&M shifter is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
mikefate said:
problem is probably the shifter. apparently its designed so that when you go into 2nd and 4th gear, theres no stop, so the shifter actually goes further than it should for the tranny. can easily damamge the tranny. i have the plp ss, and i have not experienced trouble, but thats the only flaw i knwo of with it. the b&m, however, does have the stop, and doesnt "overthrow" like the plp

i think plp may have corrected the problem, as they are on gen 3 ro 4 by now
exactly my deduction mike..

I had my tranny fail at 9k, it was due to over extension.

Before you bring your car to lexus ..put the stock shifter in, and dont mention short shifter to them. Mine was under warranty they replaced everything gearbox, cluthc pp and flywheel.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Myis300t said:
exactly my deduction mike..

I had my tranny fail at 9k, it was due to over extension.

Before you bring your car to lexus ..put the stock shifter in, and dont mention short shifter to them. Mine was under warranty they replaced everything gearbox, cluthc pp and flywheel.
I hope they do the same for mine.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update with my tranny problem...dealer said the shaft was bent or some crap like that....im getting it under warranty and a new tranny I believe...which ever way they find cheaper to fix the problem.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Mayo said:
I sent them an email asking about the Gen3 and if it would correct some of the design flaws from the GenII. They replied with; "there are no design flaws". I told them they should do a search on this site. I also asked if they could give me any information on the Gen3 like why are they coming out with one but he didn't have ANY information. That BS!

weren't they going to come out with "power pipes" intake upgrades like 2 years ago? gotta love when they throw out statements and don't follow through

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
E12iC46 said:
update with my tranny problem...dealer said the shaft was bent or some crap like that....im getting it under warranty and a new tranny I believe...which ever way they find cheaper to fix the problem.
Lucky you, i dropped my car off last week and all they did was flush out the tranny fluid and they said everythings running smoothly. I picked up my car today and 4th gear is grinding even worse. Those tech's are some dumb fucks, gota take my car back in on thurs to take the tech on a drive.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
flyingcxp said:
Lucky you, i dropped my car off last week and all they did was flush out the tranny fluid and they said everythings running smoothly. I picked up my car today and 4th gear is grinding even worse. Those tech's are some dumb fucks, gota take my car back in on thurs to take the tech on a drive.
Yea I made sure I went on a test drive with the tech to show him where the problems really was before they tell me some other crap. They are taking my situation as a collateral since my return spring broke during the time I already called them....they were backed up a bit and I had to wait 2 weeks until I brought my car in. But that return spring could have been a potential problem that is causing my tranny to fail.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts