Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Aubie83 said:
I wonder what will happen to lexus, if this keeps up :noway:
Hmm, the LX 470 sales increased from October 2001 to October 2002. The data probably also shows the disproportionate impact of the West Coast port shutdown on Lexus. However, it's difficult to draw any conclusions from a single month's sales. I doubt that Lexus is ready to go the way of Oldsmobile just yet. :yawn:

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
well all imported vehicles were affected by the strike, so merc, bmw, and lexus should have been equally affected sales wise. my mom wanted an e-class however she had to wait a couple months because of the strike.

anywho, my main blame on this is the same old toyota marketing strategy and the red tape they go through. sports car wise, toyota hasnt made a real one since 1998 with the end of the supra. the is300 comes close, but what it lacked in performance should have at least made up in details, however as many of us know, there are many details to be wanted with the is300.

pricing is great here, however toyota like always tries to stay mediocre, not bad, not great. they put too much weight of their brand name on reliability. sure its great to have reliability, however today's consumers are also interested in performance. im not sure what team build the mk4, but they seemed to have quite a bit of freeplay in building such a great car out of the box, and one that could handle a good 800hp on stock internals.

if you want to go with luxury, then it seems that toyota here lacks in other qualities as well. the es300 is nothing more than a exalted camry, the gs has not gone for a real facelift since it was created back in 1998? sure a 300hp v8 was great back then, but where does it stand now against mercs and bmw's v8? in the dust. sure toyota gives quite the bang for the buck in their line, however there is always something more to be desired. that is why many consumers will end up paying a couple thousand extra for a higher brand like merc/bmw. because, hell... with today's lease/finance rates, all it translates to is like 20 bucks a month.

from day one, i have been a loyal toyota owner, and has been my family. however performance is something that lacks in the US toyota line.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Frydryce said:
well all imported vehicles were affected by the strike, so merc, bmw, and lexus should have been equally affected sales wise. my mom wanted an e-class however she had to wait a couple months because of the strike.
How did you draw that conclusion based on the lack of the availiability of a Mercedes E-Class for your mom? I'd sure like to see the data that shows that all imported vehicles vendors were equally affected by the West Coast port shutdown. :eek:

Frydryce said:
anywho, my main blame on this is the same old toyota marketing strategy and the red tape they go through. sports car wise, toyota hasnt made a real one since 1998 with the end of the supra. the is300 comes close, but what it lacked in performance should have at least made up in details, however as many of us know, there are many details to be wanted with the is300.
Toyota's profitiability lies in SUVs, trucks, and family sedans. Although sports cars are seductive, Toyota doesn't really need a low-volume seller (like the last generation Supra) to remain competitive. In the current U.S. market, as long as they have a couple of decent SUVs, Toyota will be fine. Even Porsche, renowned for its sports cars, was forced to produce an SUV (the Cayenne) in order to remain profitable. :lol:

Frydryce said:
pricing is great here, however toyota like always tries to stay mediocre, not bad, not great. they put too much weight of their brand name on reliability. sure its great to have reliability, however today's consumers are also interested in performance. im not sure what team build the mk4, but they seemed to have quite a bit of freeplay in building such a great car out of the box, and one that could handle a good 800hp on stock internals.

if you want to go with luxury, then it seems that toyota here lacks in other qualities as well. the es300 is nothing more than a exalted camry, the gs has not gone for a real facelift since it was created back in 1998? sure a 300hp v8 was great back then, but where does it stand now against mercs and bmw's v8? in the dust. sure toyota gives quite the bang for the buck in their line, however there is always something more to be desired. that is why many consumers will end up paying a couple thousand extra for a higher brand like merc/bmw. because, hell... with today's lease/finance rates, all it translates to is like 20 bucks a month.

from day one, i have been a loyal toyota owner, and has been my family. however performance is something that lacks in the US toyota line.
I won't comment on the rest since it's mostly opinion, except to agree that "performance is lacking in the current US Toyota/Lexus models" in comparision to the competition. :yawn:

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is not a good statistic. You are looking at monthly numbers, a mere snapshop of what really happens in the car industry. MOnthly can be affected by such things as model changes, factory or manufacturer incentives, and rebate programs. This does not tell me anything. In fact it's deceptive because if you look at the annual sales and a recent article in the New York Times, Lexus yearly sales for the 2002 model line just passed BMW in the American market. This is a huge victory for Lexus even though the October market numbers may show differently.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That makes no sense. Lexus had their largest sales month ever just this year.

·
Registered
378 Posts
merlin3008 said:
This is not a good statistic. You are looking at monthly numbers, a mere snapshop of what really happens in the car industry. MOnthly can be affected by such things as model changes, factory or manufacturer incentives, and rebate programs. This does not tell me anything. In fact it's deceptive because if you look at the annual sales and a recent article in the New York Times, Lexus yearly sales for the 2002 model line just passed BMW in the American market. This is a huge victory for Lexus even though the October market numbers may show differently.
Finally, somebody else who knows the difference between "lies, damn lies, and statistics." :wink:

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Porsche is making the Dayenne due to theundiminished & so far unquenched demand for fuggin SUV's from ALL economic sectors of the buying public,... they have had extremely consistent profitable sales for Many years straight now.....the new 911/ & the boxter are Huge successes.....

thsdy want a piece of the pie & due to them sharing Much of the design & development costs w/ VW for their cheaper version they will make even more $$ pervehicle than usual.....

ed G.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
Dernick
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing