Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Justin has a sleeker/slimmer set of eyelids that are either vinyl or painted on. I was curious as to having them painted on. I want the CWest style but I can't find a pair and my car is getting ready to go into the paint shop anyway. Will enough coats of paint stop the light from going through and basically provide the same effect as the stick on ones?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think you would need to paint them inside the light housing for paint to work. The edges will be the big problem. They will chip and flake and look awful pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
You should be fine, but I would recommend that you first paint on the eyelids, and then clearcoat the entire headlight so that everything is smooth. You could also paint the eyelids, and then apply the aerotect or lamin-x film.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Why not buy a different set, dremel them to size you want, then paint. That way you don't ruin your headlights.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You should be fine, but I would recommend that you first paint on the eyelids, and then clearcoat the entire headlight so that everything is smooth. You could also paint the eyelids, and then apply the aerotect or lamin-x film.
hey have you tried it? I wanted to do this, but like I said above, I am worried about the edges of the lids peeling. I guess I hadn't thought of clearing the whole light...now there's a thought :bigSmile: Clear would take al the swirlies out of my sorely abused 02 lights - they have been sanded and polished already.

DragginByU, if you do it will you post pics? i'd really like to see this.

DB

·
Registered
609 Posts
I couldn't resist the urge, so I did it. They turned out quite nice, and I'll post pics tonight so you can decide if it's something you want to do. My lights were really showing their age, so I figured I could chance it and buy new ones if I *** them up, or if it doesn't last. I did mine in black, but you might want to consider going to a specialty shop online and ordering your paint code. I cleared the whole light as well.

BTW, use electrical tape for masking the lights if you want any kind of curves. It works really well.

+rep , so far this looks like a good idea :approve:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts