Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, can someone explain to me how the ESK work in detail? I am having a tranny problem (blown front seal) and I would like to know if its related to the ESK.

From what I understand, the ESK increases the pressure in the tranny, so I can see how it may have caused the blown seal. Please correct me if I am wrong. I spoke with a few tranny shops and one told me that even with a ESK, it should not be enough to blow a seal and told me to talk to lexus first to see if they would cover it under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

·
2,033 Posts
the front and rear seals do not hold any type of pressure there is a bushing the runs around the hub of the converter and the fluid goes from the pump through the hub into the converter. if you need a better explanition send me a pm

·
Registered
952 Posts
i had the same problem but before i had my ESK installed. i ended up seizing everything in the tranny pretty much and had to get a new converter and all the other junk that was trashed. its not the esk.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
opdawg3 said:
i had the same problem but before i had my ESK installed. i ended up seizing everything in the tranny pretty much and had to get a new converter and all the other junk that was trashed. its not the esk.
but lexus is using that against me. since i didn't want to lie about it, so i told them about the esk up front.. that was a bad move..

any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wdskuk said:
Thats a wrong move about telling them about your esk. They won't know what that ittle box is.
dealers in so cal are pretty smart, they can tell whats what.. especially when it involves warranty service.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Tell them to show you ubdisputable evidence that is was the esk that helped cause this problem or else you want your warranty honored. You might have to try another dealership.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DegoIS said:
Tell them to show you ubdisputable evidence that is was the esk that helped cause this problem or else you want your warranty honored. You might have to try another dealership.
but if you think about it, esk increases the line pressure, so it probably has somethign to do with it? thats what i am trying to find out right now.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yeah, it probably did exacerbate the cause, even if the esk wasn't the direct cause. I guess your best bet is try another dealer and don't be so honest this time. :lol:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DegoIS said:
Yeah, it probably did exacerbate the cause, even if the esk wasn't the direct cause. I guess your best bet is try another dealer and don't be so honest this time. :lol:
longo took my VIN and talked to cooperate lexus, so i am pretty much on their black list or something by now.. :lol:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
If you're in Irvine try Tustin Lexus. They're pretty eager to please. Not knowing anything about the problem and going off what IS300AllShow said, apparently the seal youre referring to doesnt hold any pressure. How could the ESK have contribute to what happened?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mr who said:
If you're in Irvine try Tustin Lexus. They're pretty eager to please. Not knowing anything about the problem and going off what IS300AllShow said, apparently the seal youre referring to doesnt hold any pressure. How could the ESK have contribute to what happened?
i would never go to tustin, not with my modded car.. :pissed:
sorry just dont like them much.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
peterc said:
mr who said:
i would never go to tustin, not with my modded car.. :pissed:
sorry just dont like them much.
I 've been going there for 2 yrs. Wheels, coils, intake, exhaust. They don't care at all. Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
The ESK does not contribute in adding pressure to the Tranny itself. It increases line pressure which has the hydraulic fluid going to the torque converter more quickly to improve your shifting and thats why the ESK makes the shifts feel more firm.

Your tranny seal doesnt have anything to do with the ESK from my knowledge.

And Pete, next time take off the mod you SUSPECT is the culprit for the problem. Otherwise your car is going to be there for a long time, and a majority of that time is going to be the dealer disputing your warranty claim.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I digged up this old thread since this seems to be the only reported TBKO ESK problem.

Has anyone else experienced problems with the ESK, particular the 4.0 (newest) version?

ESK owners please chime in. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts