Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS300.net newbie question here. I've owned an IS300, my baby, for about 2 months now and was wondering if someone could possibly clarify the EShift system for me.

First question is to why the car only allows you to start in 2nd. Seems to me that this is just a way to keep you from laying some rubber on the road.

Second, the specs say that the transmission is a 6 speed automatic, or more accurately, a 5 speed with OD. The trip shifting will only allow you to go up to 5th gear? I read something somewhere that it will not engage the OD unless you are in Automatic mode.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! By the way, wonderful site! You guys rock! (webmasters especially).

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Answered many times already but here goes.

The Eshift indicator shows what MAXIMUM gear you're allowing the transmission to use. It always starts in 1st. So when you bump it down to 2 - what you're doing is only allowing the transmission to shift up to 2nd...

5 speed automatic with (as in including) overdrive. 5th gear _is_ overdrive. No six speed nothing on this car.

Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that was fast!

I found a posting earlier on is300.net regarding specs on the IS300 for the motorola cup race last week. Everything else looks stock on the spec, so I figured the gearing was as well. Hmm, maybe they're just wrong!

http://www.motorolacup.com/img/tif_01/01LexusIS300.pdf

Still doesn't seem to make sense that the car wouldn't allow you to keep it in first...

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by NoTRAC:
Wow, that was fast!

I found a posting earlier on is300.net regarding specs on the IS300 for the motorola cup race last week. Everything else looks stock on the spec, so I figured the gearing was as well. Hmm, maybe they're just wrong!

http://www.motorolacup.com/img/tif_01/01LexusIS300.pdf

Still doesn't seem to make sense that the car wouldn't allow you to keep it in first...
The thing I never understood was why they wouldn't allow it because if the computer thinks you'll go to high rpm-wise it could just do nothing, much like trying to downshift into 2nd at 90mph doesn't do anything. Oh well, glad I'm gettin a manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TSoich, thanks for the information. This makes sense now! We (consumers) should get the 6speed manual option too (I've heard the 2002's will have it)?

Take it easy!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Originally posted by NoTRAC:
TSoich, thanks for the information. This makes sense now! We (consumers) should get the 6speed manual option too (I've heard the 2002's will have it)?

Take it easy!
IS300 2002 model are 5 speed, not a 6 speed...
and in 2002 E-Shift will be as an option.

[ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: mystic ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts