Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't remember exactly what the back deck of the IS looks like but most good stereo guys can cut a hole in the back deck so the trunk is essentially ported. I've seen this done without cutting the carpet or by cutting a hole and get a port used on a box and putting it on the deck. It looks pretty good and it will work good too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I remember some dotnetters have an aftermarket sub and amps. Try pm'ing Tony (Webmaster), I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just tried a 150-watt 10" Bazooka in the trunk, and it's effect was in my opinion significant enough (not a "wow" effect), but boomy. Despite different crossover frequencies, nothing changed. I want a deep, clean addition to an already quite descent system, and the bazooka ain't it, unless perhaps it was mounted behind the drivers seat, which I've seen done before to great effect. The place I went to now suggests a Boston Acoustics 10' enclosure with a seperate cleaner 150-watt amp (the name escapes me). The box is about a foot square, and could be pointed toward the trunk opening.

What do you think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
To avoid the sound insulation issue, just get yourself a couple of decent 10"s or 12"s and a nice amp. You can hear mine from down the block with my setup.

You don't need a massive box, just be carefull of what brand you choose and the cubic ft of airspace needed for those particular subs. I suggest the Kicker Solobarics. They kick ass and don't need much space.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Here is what I did:

It sounds great. Only 100Watts - free-air sub.

I moved the rear armrest to the front.

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: TEG ]

·
Registered
548 Posts
TEG,
what's up? Haven't seen you for a while!

I was just wondering, could you please put up a link about techs on the dotnet's "Resources"? I'm talking like, the subs that you did, painting the calipers, etc. I'm sure it'll be very helpful for all of dotnetters!

Thanks!
-mystic-

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: mystic ]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that's a gnarly set-up.
What's that board you have covering up the space? A piece of wood? Just to keep the thing hidden from thieves? Do you remove it when you're driving?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Actually it is a thin wood frame with mesh speaker grille in the middle. It stays in place all the time. The only time the subwoofer was actually showing is when I was installing it (and took the picture).

====
Hi Mystic and all.
I have been real busy with my family and other interests so I haven't been around is300.net much lately.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so what do you do when you have a 3rd person in the back seat? ask them not to lean back and crush your mesh cover? i know it's rare, but it happens, and when you have that 3rd person, it would suck to have to ask them to chill like that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
TEG.. how is the amp secured? That little hump it's on is the gas tank. Is the original trunk extension deal difficult to remove?

Spoiler

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pewzom, I have two 10 inch subwoofers in a ported box powered by a MTX thunder amp in my trunk. The bass is so loud sometimes that I have to turn the base setting to negative 2 or 3 on the receiver. Even then, that is still loud when I have my windows up.
I think the sealed trunk actually helps increase the bass. Since bass in music is non-directional, it doesn't matter if you have holes for the music to permeate to the front.
I got my amp installed at Circuit City and they did a good job without having to modify the radio much or cut up anything in order to run the wires to the back of the trunk where I keep the amp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The rating is 80x2 rms. But the performance certificate that came with the amp says 104x2 rms @ 12.2 volts and 123x2 @ 14.4 volts. The MTX thunder amps are like the Rockford Fostgate, the real power is always much greater than what's advertised.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by mystic:
TEG,
what's up? Haven't seen you for a while!

I was just wondering, could you please put up a link about techs on the dotnet's "Resources"? I'm talking like, the subs that you did, painting the calipers, etc. I'm sure it'll be very helpful for all of dotnetters!

Thanks!
-mystic-

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: mystic ]
check the is300forum.com fixes section (i think). when i wasn't being a lazy ass i collected some of these posts and made them into a simple page. juice modded them to make them look more purty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
L3, thanks for the info. But that's a big (literally) committment, having a box with 2-10's, in the trunk. I wonder if a single 10" self-powered Bazooka unit installed somewhere in or around the trunk pass-thru would be loud enough. Maybe even use it to replace the center armrest. I suppose that it would, without taking up 1/2 the trunk or a third passenger seat.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a rockford 360 punch pushing 2 rockford 12's and its more then enuff. I have the amp turned down so there no rattle or distortion. With the bass set at -2 I can turn the volume to 10 and its clear as day and can be heard down the block. I just want a smaller box in my trunk.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts