Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your observations are with your IS250 when idling? I think I am being a bit picky but just in case it's not the norm I would like to know whether you all hear something other than the whirl of the engine. Since this is my first Toyota/Lexus product I was under the assumption that you can't hear the engine (exaggerating a bit of course) as they are usually the most refined engines in the world. But it's definitely not true... there seems to be a bit of a rattling... very soft mind you but it does take away from the smoothness of sound that I had expected. It is gone during any acceleration or when the rpms are above 1500.

I just want to make sure I don't look like an idiot when I go in for my first service to ask about this with the service staff.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Yes, it's normal. The ticking sound you are hearing is the fuel pump for the high pressure fuel system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah,same thing here. i also noticed that when my engine is real cold (like when starting up my car for work in the morning), i hear a higher frequency sound when hitting the gas. it always goes away though once my car warms up. can anyone relate to that too?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
yeah,same thing here. i also noticed that when my engine is real cold (like when starting up my car for work in the morning), i hear a higher frequency sound when hitting the gas. it always goes away though once my car warms up. can anyone relate to that too?
That may be the one where oil isn't getting to the cam chain during a cold start. There's a TSB on that one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Common direct injection noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts