Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, first time posting...

I just picked up 08 IS 350 TODAY and I am very excited... It's such a great car.

However, I have noticed this while checking under the hood while the engine is running and I am hearing this clicking noise coming from the engine...

My 08 has 30 miles at this time... Is this normal? I am thinking about taking it back to the dealer and ask but did anyone else noiticed this?

Any help on this matter will be GREATELY appreciated...

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honestly, if I had not been prepared for that noise by reading all the threads about it "before" purchasing my IS350, I would have been dreadfully worried. As it is I still wonder about it sometimes when I am stopped at a light and it is quiet with no other cars around.

Diesel sound, indeed! But yes, it is normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

I am so relieved that it's not just me and that it is NORMAL...

Yeah, at idle, at the light with no music playing inside, you could hear it... And since this is almost 40k car, you expect there shouldn't be any noise...

Does IS 250 makes same noise? Again, you guys really made me feel a lot better! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Any car with direct injection should make that noise... and with DI becoming an increasingly popular technology you're gonna hear a lot more of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 IS 250 with engine noise - YOU MUST READ THIS

We have a 2008 IS 250 with 47,000 miles. We have noticed that the engine started making a noise that didn't sound like a loaner and took it to Lexus of Orlando. (sometimes after being in a car you don't realize the subtle change in the way the engine sounds till you get into a loaner). We were told that the varible timing valve pulleys were a known issue, but they were instructed by Lexus to replace them for a customer ONLY if the noise could be reproduced or heard by the technician. Ours noise was heard by the technician and the varible timing valve pulleys were replaced under warranty. (PERFORM TSIB ON VVTI GEAR SET). During this repair they noticed the WATER PUMP IS LEAKING - DETECTED WHILE CAR IS BEING SERVICED and it too was replaced.

After driving the car for a week we were still hearing the noise. The car has been back at Lexus of Orlando for the past 10 days (since 12-29-09). The head service tech replaced the lifters and the noise is still there. The Field Service Technician has been called in and they seem to think that there could be a piece of carbon in one of the cylinders (because that was the issue on a previous car he diagnoised). So, they are taking it apart to determine what the issue is. We are very concerned that we have a lemon that is getting ready to lose it's warranty due to the miles.

You can email me directly if you want to connect and compare issues or ban together to get these lemons replaced. [email protected]

Joe Strickland

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
We have a 2008 IS 250 with 47,000 miles. We have noticed that the engine started making a noise that didn't sound like a loaner and took it to Lexus of Orlando. (sometimes after being in a car you don't realize the subtle change in the way the engine sounds till you get into a loaner). We were told that the varible timing valve pulleys were a known issue, but they were instructed by Lexus to replace them for a customer ONLY if the noise could be reproduced or heard by the technician. Ours noise was heard by the technician and the varible timing valve pulleys were replaced under warranty. (PERFORM TSIB ON VVTI GEAR SET). During this repair they noticed the WATER PUMP IS LEAKING - DETECTED WHILE CAR IS BEING SERVICED and it too was replaced.

After driving the car for a week we were still hearing the noise. The car has been back at Lexus of Orlando for the past 10 days (since 12-29-09). The head service tech replaced the lifters and the noise is still there. The Field Service Technician has been called in and they seem to think that there could be a piece of carbon in one of the cylinders (because that was the issue on a previous car he diagnoised). So, they are taking it apart to determine what the issue is. We are very concerned that we have a lemon that is getting ready to lose it's warranty due to the miles.

You can email me directly if you want to connect and compare issues or ban together to get these lemons replaced. [email protected]

Joe Strickland

Wait... he replaced your lifters... to perform a timing gear TSIB? ...or do you mean they did that later?

The TSIB you describe is for a startup noise, not for a "while it's sitting there running" noise, which seems to be what you're trying to say you have?

Do you know the TSIB number performed on the car? the one that's fairly well known (though not uber common) is described here:
I am considering assuming a 2008 Lexus IS 250 le... - JustAnswer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello guys, first time posting...

I just picked up 08 IS 350 TODAY and I am very excited... It's such a great car.

However, I have noticed this while checking under the hood while the engine is running and I am hearing this clicking noise coming from the engine...

My 08 has 30 miles at this time... Is this normal? I am thinking about taking it back to the dealer and ask but did anyone else noiticed this?

Any help on this matter will be GREATELY appreciated...

Thanks!
My first post! I just bought an 08' 350 2 days ago and took it to the dealer for the 30k mi service. I heard that noise too and they assured me it was normal. On a side note, it made a funky noise during start up and they told me that there is a parts update (Had to do with the cams I think) and they have kept the car overnight to complete that- it was covered under warranty. I previously had a 2006 IS250 I bought from JM Lexus, and they are great over there. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a brand new IS-350 and I don't have any engine noise. I may not hear it because I have the F-Sport air-intake and exhaust. I did have a clicking noise when me knee would rest on the center console. I took it back and had them adjust the console to remove the sound.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I don't hear the original ticky ticky noise after 24K miles. In fact it idles almost as quiet as the IS300 did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if I am hijacking your thread but does it occur when you guys start your cars? When I start my car it sometimes makes a rattling noise as if something was loose.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Sorry if I am hijacking your thread but does it occur when you guys start your cars? When I start my car it sometimes makes a rattling noise as if something was loose.
There's a TSIB for that problem (which is NOT the direct injector ticking noise in this thread that is normal).

The TSIB involves about 12 hours of labor basically taking part of the motor apart, and requires the dealer to hear the problem for him to fix it. Repair is free under warranty.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My car has that problem, especially on a cold (winter) start.

Didn't know there was a TSIB for it. Problem is, getting the car to do it at the dealership.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts