Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried the GD but i think the newbies are clueless... here is my situation:

ok so tonite i was driving like usual on the freeway, cruising at about 75 mph. all a sudden all the lights turn off and i think the engine cuts for half a second and turns back on. my radar detector beeped low voltage during that brief occurance as well.

this is the first out of my 6 years of owning the car that this has happened.

any body have thoughts on what happened? i check my battery connection once i got home and the terminals were pretty tight on there.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
if its a 2001, how many miles u got?

might be time to REPLACE THE BATTERY ;)

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Just curious, do you still have the original OEM battery in the car? If you do, you're probably due for a new battery. have your charging system checked out first.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Master said:
i tried the GD but i think the newbies are clueless... here is my situation:

ok so tonite i was driving like usual on the freeway, cruising at about 75 mph. all a sudden all the lights turn off and i think the engine cuts for half a second and turns back on. my radar detector beeped low voltage during that brief occurance as well.

this is the first out of my 6 years of owning the car that this has happened.

any body have thoughts on what happened? i check my battery connection once i got home and the terminals were pretty tight on there.
I had the same happening to me looong time ago, with like no Mods in my car. I think its justa glitch, its weird. it only happened on very cold weather tho.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Try testing the voltage output on your alternator (that will usually do it). Also test the output on your battery, and check to see if your distributor cap is cracked. Let us know what you come up with son. Good luck, shouldn't be to difficult to figure out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
its the battery i had the same thing happen when i had a voltage stabaliser it draind the battery and the power cut of all the time change the battery and get rig of all useless gizmos that ruin youer car

·
Registered
473 Posts
Vladisme said:
its the battery i had the same thing happen when i had a voltage stabaliser it draind the battery and the power cut of all the time change the battery and get rig of all useless gizmos that ruin youer car
If your battery is good you shouldn't have to get rid of anything that uses any extra power. That's what the alternator is for... Everything should work properly. I am curious to know what exactly the problem is...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the battery was changed, about......maybe 3 years ago. and is a diehard gold. it was tested earlier in the year and they said it was still good.

the only thing i have hooked up to my car is my radar detector. my battery gauge reads about 3/4's the way up like normal.

when power cuts of. it's like a total glitch. just shuts off. then turns back on and everything is fine and dandy. it happened again today for like 1/4 of a second.

dunno if should be worried

·
Registered
874 Posts
This happened to me awhile back. Disconnect your battery, clean your terminals, and securely reconnect everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts