Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys. I took my car into NTB to get it realigned today and asked them about a scraping sound that was coming from the right rear. I thought it could have been either the e-brake rubbing or a wheel bearing. Turns out they think it is the e-brake rubbing. I took it apart and the whole e-brake mechanism moves side to side from the hinge on top. Is this normal? I think I'm going to need to change the shoes or readjust them. Is there a diy or tutorial on doing this? I searched and couldn't find one. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I Just took everything apart. I started messing with the adjuster. How much should I adjust it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I Just took everything apart. I started messing with the adjuster. How much should I adjust it?

Depends what kind of feel you want on the ebrake. I usually adjust it with the rear in the air and the trans in neutral. Opposite wheel installed and the one you're working on just have the rim off. I'll adjust little by little while turning the opposite wheel until it drags. Then just back it off until it doesn't drag. Do you have the adjuster tool? If not, maybe get it. Screwdriver method works but it's much easier with the right tool.

Edit
The moving side to side is normal. *pivot
When the rear disk/drum is installed the shoes kind of float in there on that pivot point. The shoes don't need much to function properly. Endure the braking surface looks smooth. Them may benefit from a turning.

The pads should rarely be used as a stopping device. Clean them up and readjust them together.

Hopefully this is clear. You can stop by any library and check out mostly any book on a car/truck with rear drum brakes for the exact adjustment procedures. They're mostly the same. The parts are very similar too.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. It helped a lot

+ rep

Reactions: fuya_inc
1 - 4 of 4 Posts