Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that another biggyback EMS has been shown proven to work and work well for TurboEast...I would like to start a discussion comparing and contrasting the capabilities of the Greddy Emanage Ultimate vs PCS for turbo tuning.

+rep for the first person to list any significant information about the PCS.

·
Rollin Boosted
2,801 Posts
Sorry.

Reactions: BlackSportD

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
ya i think alot of people can't wait to hear what jeff's prof opinion on the diff's between the two are.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Me either. One question for Is300luver: I noticed it says "future ignition control" so in other words, you cannot control ingnition timing with this EMS at all? (as of yet?)

·
Rollin Boosted
2,801 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have iginition control (although I have not gotten to play with the software). However, Russell at PCS has made some changes to the box since he posted that information on his site. -B

Reactions: TeCKis300

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+Rep IS300luver for having an awesome car and willing share what you know.

BTW..got a link to the PCS website?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
IS300luver said:
Well considering I have the thing on my ride I guess I will post a little about it.
PCS
-Runs on Map Sensor (Gm 3 Bar)
-Has the ability to control multiple fuel pumps
-Can digitize all u guages
-Independant fuel pressure sensor
-Fully functional data logging and tuning software (can be flash updated easily)

Some stuff from their site:
Product Description:

The average street car tuner today faces a dilemma. What do you do when you add a stroker kit, supercharger or turbocharger to a modern streetcar? You want to keep all of the amenities offered by the car and you expect performance at least as good as the stock systems. What do you do with electronic throttle? How do you tune it? Solutions do exist but they are incomplete, erratic, require disabling of critical vehicle functions or cost far too much. The XFC is the solution. Designed for the modified street car, a properly tuned XFC can deliver the added fuel required by your high performance parts while keeping your stock powertrain management systems functioning as if no changes had occurred. Competing units offer MAF skew or O2 skew but have severe limitations. Many new vehicles learn to eliminate the changes caused by MAF skew devices through O2 feedback. Competing O2 skew systems cause the vehicle to enter open loop but can often cause vehicles to trigger trouble codes and enter a debilitating limp or failsafe mode. Fuel pump control systems exist but operate on insufficient information. Fuel pump control based on too little information forms a dangerous situation in which a vehicle can be easily provided with far too much or too little fuel based on dynamic weather, battery and fuel delivery system conditions.

Product Specifications:

· Engine RPM Input
· Frequency MAF/Vehicle Speed Input
· 2 Narrow Band O2 Inputs
· 2 Wide Band (from WBO2 controller) Inputs
· 2 MAF Sensor Inputs
· 1 MAP Sensor Input
· 1 TPS Sensor Input
· 1 Fuel Pressure Sensor Input
· 2 MAF Output Skews based on 3D 16x16 tables
· 1 Frequency MAF Output Skew based on 3D 16x16 tables
· 2 O2 Output Skews based on 3D 16x16 tables
· 2 Programmable PWM Output Skews based on 3D 16x16 tables
· High Power Direct Fuel Pump Control
· Future Ignition Control Capability
· In-Field Flash Upgradable
· RS 232, CAN (2.0b) communications
· Durable weather sealed connectors built into case.
· All components specified for automotive conditions.
· Easy to use windows software interface
· Realtime Datalogging & Monitor Screens

Hope that helps and I'm sure Jeff will chime in when he is ready. -B
Link to their site?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I'd also like to see how this unit compares to a full fledge standalone like a Haltech or AEM?

Does it have any advantages over those? (besides the fuel gauge issue, lol)

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
xencloud said:
I'd also like to see how this unit compares to a full fledge standalone like a Haltech or AEM?

Does it have any advantages over those? (besides the fuel gauge issue, lol)

The PCS is a great unit... I will be the 2nd car running this unit... I was supposed to be the first.. but my own personal stuff caused me to lag on it.

Jeff and I will be doing alot of playing around with this thing to unleash what it can do... As you can see on IS300Luvers car, its capable of running high power levels..

I dont see the need for a standalone... the saying goes.. "why fix something when its not broke".. THe PCS does what it needs to and integrates the stock OBDII which helps with partial throttle drivability... In due time... i will be testing out their "driver" and it will allow control of the rev limit on the car, the last true limitation of a piggy back..

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
^^ the PCS has the capablities of a standalone though, like a Haltech/Tec3/Motec...

its NOT FAIR at all to compare it to previous "piggybacks" like an E-manage....

the PCS can do far more and as much as most entry level standalones.....

however, as I posted elsewhere....ALL ENGINE MANAGEMENT UNITS ARE PIGGYBACKS ON THE IS300...that includes HALTEC, TEC3, MOTEC, etc....

·
Registered
556 Posts
see its time like this where patience does pay off. people who are planning to boost now has it a lot easier than those who rushed it. i wish i waited a bit longer before jumping into boost club. *sigh*. but great discussion! keep the info flowing.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
^^ the PCS has the capablities of a standalone though, like a Haltech/Tec3/Motec...

its NOT FAIR at all to compare it to previous "piggybacks" like an E-manage....

the PCS can do far more and as much as most entry level standalones.....

however, as I posted elsewhere....ALL ENGINE MANAGEMENT UNITS ARE PIGGYBACKS ON THE IS300...that includes HALTEC, TEC3, MOTEC, etc....

Tsop, I have to disagree... since the engine will run without the stock ECU if you have a standalone (T3, Hal, etc). They are standalones, even if they don't control every OEM function, they still "stand alone" quite well.

Imagine a car with DBW removed on a manual tranny and VVT-i removed. Hal can control that without help, therefore, it is a standalone.

If anything, they "stand alone" and the Stock ECU helps out by controlling some optional auxillery systems (DBW, auto tranny, VVT-i)

Now, back to PCS... is it saying that the only thing it does is control fuel pump pressure? The site isn't very clear on exactly how it controls the car.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
dude, I understand that..I honestly do....

but NOBODY is actually running a true "standalone" on their IS300, aside from dt1313 that I know of who has no stock ECU anymore at all....

however, the PCS still obviously has many "standalone" unit capababilities.....it certainly aint no emanage...:lol:

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
dude, I understand that..I honestly do....

but NOBODY is actually running a true "standalone" on their IS300, aside from dt1313 that I know of who has no stock ECU anymore at all....

however, the PCS still obviously has many "standalone" unit capababilities.....it certainly aint no emanage...:lol:

As long as you agree that the Haltech, Tec-3, etc are standalones, even if people don't use them as such in the IS300 because they like the extra features... :lol:

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
dasgalloway said:
As long as you agree that the Haltech, Tec-3, etc are standalones, even if people don't use them as such in the IS300 because they like the extra features... :lol:
blah, but on an IS300 application its irrelevant...

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tsopranoMB...let's go into more detail then to say "its NOT FAIR" because the Emanage Ultimate is a far more capable piggy then the original emanage was.

Does anyone know if the PCS is a standalone fuel controller like the F10X or a post ECU fuel controller like the EMU?

1 - 20 of 561 Posts