Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that sometimes ill press unlock on the key, and open a door then when I shut the car door it locks itself. Have now locked the keys in the car twice.

Second problem which I am going to guess relates to the first, I will get out of the car to go inside. But i usually leave my car lights on to light up the room after I get out and press the lock once, locking the car but leaving lights on for ~30seconds and then they usually goes off. I came back out once or twice and they were still on. I would then check all doors and trunk and then press lock twice to shut the lights off. I realized it started happening more often and even pressing lock twice after exiting the car wouldn't work.

I then just realized today and tried it several times, that if I open the trunk and then close it, the lights operate normally. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I wonder if it's the lock detection switch on the driver door or the body module that gets it's signal from the wireless receiver. It does sound related. The system does arm and the security led goes solid for a minute, right? As well as beeps?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does lock and beep I don't know about the led inside the car. It also does unlock the driver door on one press and the rest on the second

·
Registered
635 Posts
Your problem is the driver door courtesy switch.
If you unlock the car and the car detects that no door has been opened it will lock itself after 30 seconds. Also it detects when the driver door opens and closes to turn off the headlights automatically.
When you open the driver door, does the light on the door come on? What about the light in the instrument panel?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know my key ring comes on, not sure about anything else. But it definitely is not enabling the 30 second lock or the thirty second lights go out after first lock.
Where is that part and what's the $ damage I am looking at?

Also this probably has nothing to do with it but just realized sometimes my temp gauge works while other times it will. Read -22 or something absurd haha. I figured that was the sensor in the front. I did do some torrential rain driving that might of killed it.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I was thinking about the door courtesy switch being an intermittent problem. You should read open when the door is closed(plunger in) and continuity when the door is open(plunger out). The switch is less than $20 at the dealer. I'd check it with a meter.
84233 SWITCH ASSY, COURTESY LAMP (FOR FRONT DOOR)
84231-60070 http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/8401843383-Electrical-IS300-2002.html

The temperature display in the cabin does come directly off the ambient sensor right on the bottom of the crash bar. That I would think is irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was playing with the plunger and it seems it sometimes works sometimes doesn't. So Should I just replace that?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I was playing with the plunger and it seems it sometimes works sometimes doesn't. So Should I just replace that?
If it's not acting right then I'd definitely replace it. If you have a meter you can test the plunger switch. When the plunger is extended(door open), the contact should have continuity. Open when doors closed. Just be careful not to lose the connector when you unmount the switch. Tie a string or tape the harness up so it don't go inside the door. You're probably looking at $15 or so at Toyota. I'd give the dealer a ring before you go as I don't think this is a common stocked part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts