Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my sound system installed a few months ago and have had a few electrical problems since.

I seem to be having weird intermittent problems with the power in my car. It's not caused by my system draining the battery, as I have full battery power, and the problem can occur when I havent even had the stereo on.

On occasions when I start the car I notice that my Head unit has to reload, and my clock settings, trip meter have lost its memory also. The car has always started fine, i.e the battery definitely isn’t flat but last Friday night when I unlocked my car and went to start the car as soon as I turned the key the car was dead. I had full battery power as all lights etc would turn on. So I relocked the car then unlocked it again, and the car started fine but once again the head unit had to reinitilise (Eclipse H/U with satnav) I had to reset my clock etc.

Anyone got any ideas on whats causing this?

The battery is fine, the digital voltmeter on the terminal states 12.4 V and the terminals are firmly clamped. If it was an engine immobiliser issue, why would this cause the clock to lose it’s memory etc?

Any help thought’s/ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
maybe a shotty connection coming in to the fuse panel? from your indications your electrical system seems fine until it reaches the fuse box. from there it will pslit into the radio fuse, ECU, and ignition switch. something could be going wrong in there. most likely from the input side that comes from the battery. a loose connection can cause your radio to lose its constant +12V source (reason for your radio's settings to reset) and can also cause the ignition/ECU from not starting the engine.

i'd take it to the dealership before you start messing with that wiring, though. hopefully they have some test equipment to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe a shotty connection coming in to the fuse panel? from your indications your electrical system seems fine until it reaches the fuse box. from there it will pslit into the radio fuse, ECU, and ignition switch. something could be going wrong in there. most likely from the input side that comes from the battery. a loose connection can cause your radio to lose its constant +12V source (reason for your radio's settings to reset) and can also cause the ignition/ECU from not starting the engine.

i'd take it to the dealership before you start messing with that wiring, though. hopefully they have some test equipment to diagnose the problem.
Thanks mate

Yeah might have to take it to a 'stealership' and see if it chucks any codes :pissed:

·
WORLDWIDE
264 Posts
you may want to take your car back to who ever installed your head unit and have them check all of the connection, it sounds like one could be lose or grounding somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts