Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debated between Electrical vs. Mechanical gauges. I've found that the price of Electric seems higher (about 3x $50 vs $150 makes a big difference for 3 gauges). Electrical also seems easier to install but is it enough to justify the price? Can anyone add any comments on other advantages and disadvantages or tradeoffs of either setup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
glogik said:
I'm debated between Electrical vs. Mechanical gauges. I've found that the price of Electric seems higher (about 3x $50 vs $150 makes a big difference for 3 gauges). Electrical also seems easier to install but is it enough to justify the price? Can anyone add any comments on other advantages and disadvantages or tradeoffs of either setup?

Thanks!
in my opinion, if one of the gauges break and you have mechanical gauges, you'll only have to spend $xx amount instead of $xxx amount for electrical gauges

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
glogik said:

Thanks!
Well, with mechanical gauges such as fuel pressure, you'll want to keep that under the hood, unless you feel safe with a gas line going through your firewall into your cabin, (I don't!). Plus it's hard to keep an eye on the fuel pressure under load to make sure you're safe.

Boost is easy, mechanical, just a vacuum line.

EGT gauges are "almost" always electronic anyway, and are pretty reliable.

So, you could look at it as 2 electronic guages and one mechanical. That's what I did, even though they don't match too well, :lol: .

Kane

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
fuel pressure and egt should have to be electrical, so you might as well get a matching electrical boost gauge

don't get defi, they lick monkey balls

-gte

·
Registered
774 Posts
IS300GTE said:
fuel pressure and egt should have to be electrical, so you might as well get a matching electrical boost gauge

-gte
lol, they definitely aren't the fastest or most helpful cats around

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

I think I'm going with a mechanical boost, electrical EGT and electrical Oil temp. All from the same company and series so they visually match.

Black faced, red needle, orange backlight... on a TBKO guage pod should blend right in.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
if you go with autometer for gauges...they sell something for the fuel pressure units...it's gas up to a certain point, then you add on a sending unit and from there up til your gauge, you fill with coolant. that way you don't have gas running into your car...but it is kind of a pita to bleed the sending unit...but imho i think it's better than the mechanical one...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HyperMKIV said:
if you go with autometer for gauges...they sell something for the fuel pressure units...it's gas up to a certain point, then you add on a sending unit and from there up til your gauge, you fill with coolant. that way you don't have gas running into your car...but it is kind of a pita to bleed the sending unit...but imho i think it's better than the mechanical one...
Neat. I just saw some. I think they call it their "Fuel Pressure w/ Isolator". It's a good inbetween. Not as expensive as the electrical guage but you don't have the fuel running into your cabin.

For a EGT gauge, does anyone know the difference between a EGT w/ thermocouple and without?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
IS300GTE said:

-gte
the defi match our interior perfectly: black with red needle and amber at night--can you expand a little on the negatives of them??

i don't own them, nor have i ever atually seen them in person, so i'm not defending them--i just want to know more about why they are a bad idea...

·
13,978 Posts
MSM MT IS300 said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte
the defi match our interior perfectly: black with red needle and amber at night--can you expand a little on the negatives of them??

i don't own them, nor have i ever atually seen them in person, so i'm not defending them--i just want to know more about why they are a bad idea...
the greddy silver warning gauges also match our interior perfectly.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
IS300GTE said:

-gte

Sheeeeeeeeeeitt

I have a triple set of BF-Defis on the way
:oops:
GTE could you elaborate on this

thanks man

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
bump, I would like know why also..

I really like the look of these and they match very well.

btw, lookin at the install diagram I dont see how fuel is running in the cabin, and why would egt be that much more accurate with an electronic gauge???

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
IS3FINALLYmd said:
bump, I would like know why also..

I really like the look of these and they match very well.

btw, lookin at the install diagram I dont see how fuel is running in the cabin, and why would egt be that much more accurate with an electronic gauge???
if you get a mechanical fuel pressure regulator, it has a braided line that goes directly to your gauge...so if you mount the unit inside the cabin, you'll have fuel running all the way up to the gauge...

as for the egt, i believe they're all basically electronic...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
MSM MT IS300 said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

Defi are definitely one of the nicest looking gauge around. But trying to get some help is next to impossible if you have a question. Also, if you like staying on hold and then getting disconnected all the time then defi is the gauge for your (btw I have the BF gauges look sweet, but customer service sucks @ss)

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
I have the Apexi el2's and there nice. My EGT sensor went to shit and I replaced it and now it's fine. That was the only problem I've had.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
this sucks, I wanted to go with blitz blm's but they're on backorder and so is the trd pod SOOO...

I began lookin at the defi , they look great and match perfectly, and had my mind set now this sh*t, I wanted to get boost,egt,fuel pressure and it seems fuel is a big no no, egt should be all digital, boost either or. :(

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
For those of you looking for the TRD gauge pod. Powerhouse Racing has one for sale, but only one. They will sell it for $260, so if anyone is interested call the asap. Tell them that I told you to call and they will hook you up with that price.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Wxman said:
For those of you looking for the TRD gauge pod. Powerhouse Racing has one for sale, but only one. They will sell it for $260, so if anyone is interested call the asap. Tell them that I told you to call and they will hook you up with that price.
everybody this is a very good deal! :D

thanks wxman, bet there somebody out there in for this trd pod!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts