Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
is there "really" a need for an EGT if you got a wideband permanently installed? There is only so much things I can look at while driving under boost? :suspiciou
<P></P>
Anyone boost without an EGT gauge installed? I mean it seems that people have made this the norm without questioning whether they use it or not?
<P></P>
I havent glanced at my EGT gauge since I put in the WB. Its all about the digital number these days :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
A/F is how good your combustion is and EGT is how hot it is. Experienced people use and interpret both of them. I have both and am learning to interpret them.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
that's why I think people are misguided about gauges.
<P></P>
Everyone always thinks that you "need' 3
Why 3?
<P></P>
And why and EGT?
<P></P>
I made that mistake when I first started and I wish that people had given me proper info.
<P></P>
Now...I have 2 widebands (don't ask), a useless EGT gauge, fuel pressure and boost.<P></P>
Honestly, I could have done just the same with just fuel pressure.

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
that's why I think people are misguided about gauges.

Everyone always thinks that you "need' 3
Why 3?

And why and EGT?

I made that mistake when I first started and I wish that people had given me proper info.

Now...I have 2 widebands (don't ask), a useless EGT gauge, fuel pressure and boost.
Honestly, I could have done just the same with just fuel pressure.
So do i not need an EGT?

I was planning on Boost, EGT, and Oil Pressure then getting a digital wideband. If i dont need the EGT i could swap it with fuel pressure

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
OKCIS_ALTNICK said:
So do i not need an EGT?

I was planning on Boost, EGT, and Oil Pressure then getting a digital wideband. If i dont need the EGT i could swap it with fuel pressure
Well I would ask you why you need 3?
If you wanted a fuel pressure why not just use 4 gauges?
Does your boost controller have a boost gauge built in? If so, then you probably don't need another one.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
just my personal opinion, but i all the gauges you really need is the boost, a/f, n egt. the others are nice but these are the ones you really look at most of the time.
<P></P>
besides have any of you done long highway pulls and looked at your egt's. you'd be suprise where you # can end up
<P></P>
but if it was a choice between egt and a/f, a/f would win hands down.
<P></P>
and yes you should really invest in an egt gauge for the person who just asked

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
goldznnz said:
besides have any of you done long highway pulls and looked at your egt's. you'd be suprise where you # can end up
Hopefully the car will be fast enough that you don't have to do long highway pulls :)

·
2,033 Posts
I think like SophieSleeps said why 3? When I started doing my research there were so many things you want to / need to watch but as BigDaddyRich said There are only so many things I can look at while driving under boost. so what do you do then?
<P></P>
well I decided to go with 3 gages in the gage pod that I knew I would use on a very regular basis 2-EGT and Boost, then run a wide band where I can see that as well. but I asked my self what about the tranny? so I decided to go with a pressure gage for the tranny as well as a temp gage for the tranny. then did the same for the motor. after doing the PCS tranny controler I figured that there touch screen display and data logger was the last thing I need to put in for gaging and it watchs things I will probably never care about lol but if I need it at least it is there.
<P></P>
I figure I can't watch them all but if something catch's my eye for just a split sec it may be the thing that saves my cars ass.
<P></P>
now I just need to figure out where to put the radar dectector lol

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i say you need both yes if your a/f is right you souldnt be running hot but other things can raise you EGT not just a/f. i say the egt is woth it. im curently running boost,EGT, fuel press., wideband.
<P></P>
-Brett

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
Yes, you need both a wideband and an EGT.
<P></P>
Why? Because they aren't the same. I have run my car many times hard and the a/f will be perfect but my EGT's will start to rise after time of getting on it hard. In high 4th and 5th pulls the heat builds and builds until it gets too hot and I have to let off. Sure my a/f is perfect, but that doesn't mean that the EGT is stable.
<P></P>
I see this on the street some, but I saw it on the track the most. after 5-6 laps my egt's would get HOT and on the straight I had to short shift and keep it cool while going down the straight. Now some of this was because of my manifold, but it holds true for everyone.
<P></P>
It only takes one time for the EGT to go 1600+ on a long pull and Poof, bye bye engine. This is why gauges w/ warning lights are almost required.

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
So where the hell do you guys put all these guages im having a hard time figuring out where im going to put just the 4 right now. 3 in the pod, Wideband down below hopefully next to my EDFC if its small enough.
<P></P>
Do you put guages in the pillar also? I do have a clarion touchscreen headunit is there something i can run to monitor stuff on it?
<P></P>
Im probably going to order my guages today so for my pillar ill stick with my original though of boost, EGT, Oil pressure

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
maybe "useless" was the wrong word.
All I'm saying is that the wideband is much more important. I've never seen my EGT's go up high enough for me to worry.
<P></P>
I wouldn't put a wideband down low. I would put it up top where you can see it. It's one of your most dynamic and important sensors.

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
maybe "useless" was the wrong word.
All I'm saying is that the wideband is much more important. I've never seen my EGT's go up high enough for me to worry.
<P></P>
I wouldn't put a wideband down low. I would put it up top where you can see it. It's one of your most dynamic and important sensors.
<P></P>
i disagree w/ your assesment of the EGT. It and the wideband are critical together. together they tell the story. Long pulls and you have to have both.
<P></P>
I actually think boost is far less important. Generally it will be on your boost controller and that's enough. Having a wideband that can fit in a pod would be ideal or making another small display to put above the steering column.
<P></P>
most will agree that all the other gauges are just niceties and you can live without them. you can put a fuel pressure under the hood cause you don't really need it all the time.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
IS_Dude said:
i disagree w/ your assesment of the EGT. It and the wideband are critical together. together they tell the story. Long pulls and you have to have both.
<P></P>
I actually think boost is far less important. Generally it will be on your boost controller and that's enough. Having a wideband that can fit in a pod would be ideal or making another small display to put above the steering column.
<P></P>
most will agree that all the other gauges are just niceties and you can live without them. you can put a fuel pressure under the hood cause you don't really need it all the time.
<P></P>
Then I agree with you.<P></P>
I don't think boost is important if you have it on a boost controller.
I won't go without my fuel pressure gauge, especially after going with a rising rate regulator.
<P></P>
EGT aint that important for me. You know as well as me that i'm not gonna be hitting a track anytime soon and I won't be WOT for minutes at a time. If I did that I'd hve 4 busted rims and a 3 dozen potholes smiling back at me.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I agree with Dude if you boosting hard for a long time you EGTs will start to rise you will never know this if you dont have a EGT gauge. Also if you have "WARNING" gauges you dont have to look at them until they start to chime. In my opinion gauges with out the warning feature are MUCH less useful since you cant always be watching them(Border line useless in my opinion since it will be the one time you dont look that screws you).<P></P>
Boost warns at 14.1, Fuel Pressure warns below 50(If this warns im running out of gas), EGT Warns above 1400F, Oil Pressure warns belows 18 psi. In this scheme I never have to look at my gauges until they start making noise.
<P></P>
I have boost because you want to make sure you are not over boosting<P></P>
I have EGT to make sure im not melting a piston, Detonation will also effect your EGTs.<P></P>
I have oil pressure because I have so many oil lines id like to know if I have a leak.<P></P>
I have Fuel Pressure because Id like to know if my return line falls off lol. And it also a back up fuel gauge.<P></P>

I also have a defi setup up so I dont actually need the gauges to get the warnings just the sensors.
<P></P>
Actually my wideband warns too, so I dont really have to look at anything. Looking at gauges at 14 psi in traffic is hard ;)
<P></P>
also my Apexi Avcr Map sensor went bad, so its been miss reporting boost for a while.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Do you even drive you car lol? Most people are going to do highway pulls on roads they are familar with.
<P></P>
SophieSleeps said:
Then I agree with you.
I don't think boost is important if you have it on a boost controller.
I won't go without my fuel pressure gauge, especially after going with a rising rate regulator.
<P></P>
EGT aint that important for me. You know as well as me that i'm not gonna be hitting a track anytime soon and I won't be WOT for minutes at a time. If I did that I'd hve 4 busted rims and a 3 dozen potholes smiling back at me.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Gauges I bought when I was new to boost (left to right in my pod)...
BOOST---FUEL PRESSURE---EGT
<P></P>
What I have now (left to right in my pod)...
BOOST---KNOCK/RETARD---WIDEBAND
<P></P>

I used my boost gauge the most from my original setup. The fuel pressure gauge makes for a nice gas gauge, but I didn't look at it too much. The EGT ran up over 1400 a few times. But that was only when the car was being pushed over 100mph and in full boost. I rarly do such high speed runs and only used the gauge to know when I can turn off the car (cooled down).
<P></P>
My vote: Lose the EGT gauge if you do not track your car (or drive 100+mph all the time).

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
My first time around with F/I, I went with Boost, EGT, Fuel. I track my car frequently. The EGT saved my ass several times, Fuel pressure just warned me when I am gonna run out of gas, (the gas gauge problem is fixed now) Boost, cause I often varied my settings manually, no electronic boost controller. I may remove boost when I get a new Controller, and add in a Wideband or Oil pressure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts