Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To install a EGT probe, I know its best to install it onto the Turbo manifold, would it be best to install it on the 6th runner? Cylinder #1 being the front most, and Cylinder #6 being the closest to the firewall.

I think that Cylinder 6 tends to run richer and cylinder #1 might run leaner. If that EGT probe is in the runner for Cylinder #6, wouldn't it be kind of bad to install it there if cylinder #6 runs rich and cylinder #1 starts to lean out?

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
AnybodY??

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
To install a EGT probe, I know its best to install it onto the Turbo manifold, would it be best to install it on the 6th runner? Cylinder #1 being the front most, and Cylinder #6 being the closest to the firewall.

I think that Cylinder 6 tends to run richer and cylinder #1 might run leaner. If that EGT probe is in the runner for Cylinder #6, wouldn't it be kind of bad to install it there if cylinder #6 runs rich and cylinder #1 starts to lean out?
6 runs the hottest and sometimes the leanest. It is definately the runner to put it in without a doubt. As close to the exhaust port is always the best, but if you wanted you could put it in the collector where all of the cyl. from the second bank come together.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I've heard 6in from the valve of the hottest cyl is the best.

The collector will be the hottest point, but in the runner will give you a more accurate reading of cylinder temps (which is what you want).

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cyl. #6 running lean at times is what i meant to say.

But why and what situations does Cyl #6 run lean? Which way does the fuel rail run? Front to rear (Fuel line going onto the rail from the front of the car) or on the flip side Rear to front?

So i'm safely assuming that Cyl #1 rarely would run hotter than Cyl #6.?

Note this is for a stock GTE Sequential Twin-Turbo setup. Would the answer in where to stick the EGT probe differ?

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
it just runs inherintley hotter in the back of a inline 6 engine. It's the same for the Skyline peeps and the supra guys as well.

the fuel rail in the IS is fed from the back right at the cyl 6 fuel injector. If I was dropping as much coin as it appears that you will be trying to do duals, I'd say get 2 egt's. One for bank 1 and one for bank 2. Select where you want it, either in the collectors or cyl 6 & 3 or whatever. In this case, more is better.

AltezzaBob said:
Cyl. #6 running lean at times is what i meant to say.

But why and what situations does Cyl #6 run lean? Which way does the fuel rail run? Front to rear (Fuel line going onto the rail from the front of the car) or on the flip side Rear to front?

So i'm safely assuming that Cyl #1 rarely would run hotter than Cyl #6.?

Note this is for a stock GTE Sequential Twin-Turbo setup. Would the answer in where to stick the EGT probe differ?

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ! :D

Interesting. Two EGT gauges. I'll have to see how this goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.