Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help.
The mod bug hasn't subsided and now looking at upgrading the engine.

Are there any advantages of using TT Internals 2JZGTE Pistons/Rods/Rings on my stock GE engine?

I finished doing the esthetics/exterior and now looking at performance. Car's getting suspension work as we speak. I'm holding on a supercharger or turbo because they're just aren't any tuners here in TO

So far I've got an L-Tuned exhaust and a drop in K&N filter in the stock airbox.

Moving to either the K&N FIPK or the LMS cold air intake.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
SEARCH

this was recently asked...

it will not add any power, it will likely rob it from you...lower compression=good for turbo

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
this won't help you at all unless you go turbo or s/c. it will actually take away a couple HP because of the loss in compression.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
IS_Dude said:
this won't help you at all unless you go turbo or s/c. it will actually take away a couple HP because of the loss in compression.
Are the internals physically lighter?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Sentinel said:
Are the internals physically lighter?

the rods are CONSIDERABLY heavier compared to stock rods...

THis alone will rob power on NA because now there is more mass that needs to be overcome to turn the motor..

Not to mention the drop in compression taking some power...

You will roughly lose 5-7 HP..

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
this is what I suggest happsmp,
find a block and put your GTE internals in that block, so when you do go F/I you're all set. While that's being done and you're saving money for F/I, you can drive around, since you've already gotten the cosmetics done on the exterior.
I happen to have a block that is perfect for this.. :)
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=254439

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
find a block and put your GTE internals in that block, so when you do go F/I you're all set. While that's being done you can drive around, since you've already gotten the cosmetics done on the exterior.

hey focker i might want that block soon!! lol

waiting for funds to work out this week...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
dam...wish i was in calif. i want a spare block to mess around with

i think you will lose alot more than 5-7hp

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
find a block and put your GTE internals in that block, so when you do go F/I you're all set. While that's being done and you're saving money for F/I, you can drive around, since you've already gotten the cosmetics done on the exterior.
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=254439
:lol: Very subtle Sam.;) I wish I could get your block as well, but I shipping costs might not be worth it. I'm eyeing those TT internals in the for sale forum as well. I need to boost the car again.

Regarding the use of TT internals, wouldn't it be redundant to also have a thicker head gasket? I would assume that one or the other would only be necessary as long as you don't plan to boost much past 1 bar?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
nah... go and calculate it...
i got 385whp at 12psi on stock compression. 375whp at 15psi with GTE internals

doh..nevermind. i just realized that my timing was also reduced a significant amount

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
kuuligan said:
i got 385whp at 12psi on stock compression. 375whp at 15psi with GTE internals

doh..nevermind. i just realized that my timing was also reduced a significant amount
12 PSI on stock compression is fatal... why did you do that? lol

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
oh alright!! Haha.. That makes a little more sense now..

But yea, with lowered compression on a stock NA motor, you will lose roughly 5-7 HP. But more so around 7 HP.. Its really not much and I doubt you will be able to feel it with the butt dyno... Might feel alittle more sluggish, but thats it..

The GTE internals MAY help if you want to build up an NA motor, but if your goal was to build an NA motor i would get Carillo rods which from what a tuner told me was that they are lighter and stronger than TT rods and then throw some JE pistons on which are EXTREMELY light.. This will help reduce some of the moving mass the motor has to overcome (kinda the effect of alightweight flywheel i gues)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Malekreza11 said:

But yea, with lowered compression on a stock NA motor, you will lose roughly 5-7 HP. But more so around 7 HP.. Its really not much and I doubt you will be able to feel it with the butt dyno... Might feel alittle more sluggish, but thats it..

The GTE internals MAY help if you want to build up an NA motor, but if your goal was to build an NA motor i would get Carillo rods which from what a tuner told me was that they are lighter and stronger than TT rods and then throw some JE pistons on which are EXTREMELY light.. This will help reduce some of the moving mass the motor has to overcome (kinda the effect of alightweight flywheel i gues)
and all that would combine for 5-7 hp? i mean if the heavier ones make you loose 5-7 would lighter gain you 5-7?

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
dadasups1 said:
and all that would combine for 5-7 hp? i mean if the heavier ones make you loose 5-7 would lighter gain you 5-7?
it's the lowered compression that looses power, not the weight.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
awesome, i can finally pinpoint my timing as the culprit to my low dyno numbers. I made 385 at 12lbs on stock compression, which equates to about 378-380 on low compression at 12lbs. I only made 370 at 15lbs on low compression when it should have been deep into the 400's. key factor here is timing.

my tuner said, "i dont want you to aim for big numbers and blow your tranny before you even had a chance to enjoy and learn your car." At the time I was like wtf.

Raced a modded GTO recently from a 20 roll at 370whp setting, and even at that power level, I was spinning and sliding all over the place. It all makes sense now..

Malekreza11 said:

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
yea man 370 RWHP is alot of freaking power... Even on NA with a 5 speed you can start to lose it around a turn pretty easy if you go in with alot of throttle.. But 370 RWHP can get you into trouble going straight!!

When i was tuning a PFS stage II, with 255 PS2's in the back, the rear end was getting squirmy on me and had to lift off the throttle... Tuning became difficult with the lack of traction but did it none the less, just took longer..

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Malekreza11 said:

I'm on lowered compression ~8.7:1 with stock power. The car is still drivable but the butt dyno tells me I lost atleast 15 HP. The car feels pretty sluggish and gas mileage sucks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts