Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
I'm positive Lexus could come up with an IS300-L or whatever, under $41k. All it's going to take is the L-tuned suspension, some forced induction and a manual tranny to make an S4 killer (on price) and an M3 killer (on value). Man... Lexus!!!!!!!


------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - but AWD (not power) is the real killer here. Adding tons of power is relativey easy .... adding that power to a world-class AWD system takes a little more.

Unfortunately, I see absolutely no move on Toyoya's part to offer AWD as an option with their cars (perhaps they are afraid it will compete with their strong SUV sales?) As others add AWD capability (i.e., BMW 330xi, Mercedes stated plan to add AWD to their new C-Class in the future, etc.), Toyota is going to be the odd man out. <sigh>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
I agree with you WEB... but what are the chances of that actually happening? If we lived in a perfect world.. sure? I dont think Lexus really cares right about now. IT would be very cool if Lexus made an S4 Killer. and just like Audi just produces it S4 in a signature color. IS300-L, maybe Red perhaps. I wish we could influence them somehow but im not too optimistic.
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by Italian Stallion:
Yeah - but AWD (not power) is the real killer here. Adding tons of power is relativey easy .... adding that power to a world-class AWD system takes a little more.
I agree with you, mostly. It's just that I'm not a big fan of AWD. It adds weight and it feels like cheating.
Not that it doesn't have its advantages, damn, even my brother's roommate's 10 year old Audi 5000 could hang some pretty nice turns. But I guess I just don't really care about AWD. Does BMW have any plans to add it to the M Series?

Lexus has the stuff to make an L Series IS300, they just need to do it!


------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
Does BMW have any plans to add it to the M Series?

No way Tony... I guarantee you that will never happen... Because it would be heavier, wouldn't be as well balanced, and probably won't be as fun. Going against what motorsport stands for...
Eric...
Keep in mind the current M5 as it stands weight 4000lbs



[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 08, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
I would much rather see more power first. AWD is not that important to me. There are plenty of great RWD sports cars. AWD adds a lot of weight and is hard to do well. Audi has done a fantastic job on this, but they have had a lot of experience with it also. I would be very surprized to see Lexus get it right the first time. There is plenty of room for more power without worrying about traction issuses.
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
No way Tony... I guarantee you that will never happen... Because it would be heavier, wouldn't be as well balanced, and probably won't be as fun. Going against what motorsport stands for...
Exactly. And I wouldn't opt for it on my IS either.


Originally posted by EricK:
I would much rather see more power first. AWD is not that important to me. There are plenty of great RWD sports cars. AWD adds a lot of weight and is hard to do well....There is plenty of room for more power without worrying about traction issuses.
Exactly.

(Sorry, I'm not usually a "me-too" poster)


------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Jaguar is working on performance version of the Xtype to compete with the new M3. They say it will be 3.2L supercharged engine, 320hp, under 6 to 60. The key selling point is that it is AWD.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top