Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDITED: I was driving next to the BMW that I raced last night today! He was turning at a light I was pulling up to. I'm 100% POSITIVE it was the same BMW. Black, same everything, tint, system, optional black and white Delaware license plate. Its an M5 it turns out! Last night in the dark I couldn't see.

No wonder why I got SMOKED so damn bad! Those cars are 394 BHP and 370 something torque from what I remember. :(

DAMN!

I had to post this because I had an encounter with the oh so infamous BMW M3. First I saw it a few cars up (spotted the quad exhaust) and kept trying to catch up to it. Finally, I did. The guy had the car dropped, optional 18's or 19's I couldn't tell, dark tint, and a system. You could hear the subs a mile away.

Sounded like some kind of engine mods (not many, though) maybe an intake. He revved at the light and I figured what the hell, even though I knew a stock 5-speed IS with exhaust didn't stand a chance.

I had a great launch, right around 3K RPM's, nearly zero wheel spin. Right off the line I got maybe 1/2 a car length. After that he pretty much bent me over and did me dry, lol. He easily jumped about 3-4 cars on me but from 80-100 MPH I really started to catch back up. Even though at this point he was 5-6 cars ahead. He shut it down at 120 MPH or so.

I knew I would get killed but whatever, this is definitely motivation for BOOST. ;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Def. not a bad way to go down. :p They seem to lose quite a bit of torque from 70-100mph which is why you felt like you were able to keep him in sight. But we all know that they're an all motor beast, nevertheless. My friend's e46 M3 is stock and he lost to a stock Pontiac GTO going from a roll at 60mph and shutting down at around 100mph because the GTO had already pulled a good two cars ahead. I was in the car with him and couldn't believe it. Mr. Miktrebla9, I expect some clarity on this please (since I feel like I'm talking out of my a**) Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
IZZY RICH said:
Def. not a bad way to go down. :p They seem to lose quite a bit of torque from 70-100mph which is why you felt like you were able to keep him in sight. But we all know that they're an all motor beast, nevertheless. My friend's e46 M3 is stock and he lost to a stock Pontiac GTO going from a roll at 60mph and shutting down at around 100mph because the GTO had already pulled a good two cars ahead. I was in the car with him and couldn't believe it. Mr. Miktrebla9, I expect some clarity on this please (since I feel like I'm talking out of my a**) Thanks ;)
That really is no surprise, because stock corvettes pull pretty good on the e46 M3s, so a heavier car with a vette engine should pull.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Inspar8r said:
That really is no surprise, because stock corvettes pull pretty good on the e46 M3s, so a heavier car with a vette engine should pull.
I see your point. The M3s seem to be much stronger from the launch. They put down similar 1/4 mi times as the GTO (I guess it depends on models. aren't there two versions? 350hp & 400hp). Even in the latest Car & Driver mag (or Road & Track, can't remember), they did a comparo with the M3 and AMG C32. Although 1/4 mi times are pretty even, the Benz's mid-range acceleration was twice as fast as the M3s: like a 50-70mph test, Benz did 3.6 sec and the M3 did 7.3 sec. It's all good though. I'd still take an M3 over a C32 or GTO.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for posting your encounter, Monstar. You seemed to have better skill than the driver of the M3.:) Equal cars, you would've easily taken him. Kudos.

From what I understand, torque is more important from a launch than it is at speed. M3's do quite well top end. Given the hp, gearing and redline of the M3, I'm pretty sure he let down when you "started to catch back up".

I've raced a coworker's GTO (350hp version, though) on the highway and walked it pretty easily. I don't have an experience with the 400hp LS2s, but I wouldn't be surprised if the encounter with be any different from Izzy Rich's. Those 6.0L V8, although antedeluvian in design, are beasts (not to mention respond well to simple bolt-on mods)!

Oh, Izzy, just to clarify, those "top gear" acceleration figures mean nothing. With any manual equipped cars, they leave it in 6th (or 5th, however many cogs there are), punch the throttle and record the time. With automatics (now this is where it gets weird) they put the car in manumatic mode, put it in the highest gear, floor it, ALLOW IT TO DOWNSHIFT AUTOMATICALLY, and record the time. Their rationale is since this is a test of highway passing, there's no physical gear changing done by the driver, therefore allowing the automatics to downshift on its own is fine. Btw, the M3 does 100 in 11.6 seconds.

An excerpt from C&D's Million Dollar Supercar Test (on the SL65): "Check out the passing-acceleration figures. EVEN COUNTING THE DOWNSHIFT that greets a big prod at the pedal..." I suppose I understand the purpose of this test..but...weird.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Miktrebla09 said:
Oh, Izzy, just to clarify, those "top gear" acceleration figures mean nothing. With any manual equipped cars, they leave it in 6th (or 5th, however many cogs there are), punch the throttle and record the time. With automatics (now this is where it gets weird) they put the car in manumatic mode, put it in the highest gear, floor it, ALLOW IT TO DOWNSHIFT AUTOMATICALLY, and record the time. Their rationale is since this is a test of highway passing, there's no physical gear changing done by the driver, therefore allowing the automatics to downshift on its own is fine. Btw, the M3 does 100 in 11.6 seconds.
Ahh, that makes sense. They didn't mention top gear acceleration, just the speeds being measured.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
IZZY RICH said:
I see your point. The M3s seem to be much stronger from the launch. They put down similar 1/4 mi times as the GTO (I guess it depends on models. aren't there two versions? 350hp & 400hp). Even in the latest Car & Driver mag (or Road & Track, can't remember), they did a comparo with the M3 and AMG C32. Although 1/4 mi times are pretty even, the Benz's mid-range acceleration was twice as fast as the M3s: like a 50-70mph test, Benz did 3.6 sec and the M3 did 7.3 sec. It's all good though. I'd still take an M3 over a C32 or GTO.
thats top gear acceleration.

·
Registered
571 Posts
IZZY RICH said:
Ahh, that makes sense. They didn't mention top gear acceleration, just the speeds being measured.
Yeah, it's kinda pointless and a bit of a misnomer...since auto's don't stay in top gear.

Weird:)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tons of respect for M3's, but honestly, I can't wait to get my TE setup and smoke 'em. I have never wanted turbo so bad in my life, lol. :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
M3's are a benchmark for a good reason. Get boosted! Smoking them will be that much more satisfying:)

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
50-70 in 7.6 seconds. I seriously doubt that. I have been in a few M3s and it doesnt even take 7.6 seconds to get to 70mph.

·
Registered
411 Posts
magoo thats in sixth gear only. Stay in 6th gear at 50 go WOT in 6th and see how long it takes. Thats why.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Miktrebla09 said:
Thanks for posting your encounter, Monstar. You seemed to have better skill than the driver of the M3.:) Equal cars, you would've easily taken him. Kudos.

From what I understand, torque is more important from a launch than it is at speed. M3's do quite well top end. Given the hp, gearing and redline of the M3, I'm pretty sure he let down when you "started to catch back up".

I've raced a coworker's GTO (350hp version, though) on the highway and walked it pretty easily. I don't have an experience with the 400hp LS2s, but I wouldn't be surprised if the encounter with be any different from Izzy Rich's. Those 6.0L V8, although antedeluvian in design, are beasts (not to mention respond well to simple bolt-on mods)!

An excerpt from C&D's Million Dollar Supercar Test (on the SL65): "Check out the passing-acceleration figures. EVEN COUNTING THE DOWNSHIFT that greets a big prod at the pedal..." I suppose I understand the purpose of this test..but...weird.
I never really know about c&d's top gear acceleration :blush:

Plus + for the clarification.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
you know those harley davidsons dunno which model but it took me the end of 3rd gear to catch him :( my cars slow :(

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
good job

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Miktrebla09 said:

I wish gas was still at the price in when C&D Performed the test.
Gasoline: (@ $1.44 per gallon) $2519

"The casual driver will also be shocked by the M3's appetite for motor oil. Our car consumed its first quart in less than 1900 miles, and by its first oil change at 12,500 miles—a service interval determined by the onboard maintenance system—this ultimate driving machine had used three more quarts"

·
Registered
571 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
I wish gas was still at the price in when C&D Performed the test.
Gasoline: (@ $1.44 per gallon) $2519
HAhaha..seriously. You should see me now...eyeing my onboard computer trying to maintain a constant 18mpg in the city. :(

It's funny that the M3 C&D burned so much oil. My oil indicator went off once in the 2 years I've owned my car. Just went to the dealer and had it topped off for free. hehe. I love my maintenance program.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Miktrebla09 said:
HAhaha..seriously. You should see me now...eyeing my onboard computer trying to maintain a constant 18mpg in the city. :(

It's funny that the M3 C&D burned so much oil. My oil indicator went off once in the 2 years I've owned my car. Just went to the dealer and had it topped off for free. hehe. I love my maintenance program.
Ya get what you pay for ;)

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
redGSRguy said:
You are just asking for it trying to race a M3, =P. Get that boost and try again. E46 M3s are no joke.
man, m3's are slow as hell. whatchu talking about?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts