Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instructions on how to install PLP GII Short Shifter

Got myself a used one.

Anyone have direction on how to install it.

TIA.

P.S. The first one to hook me up with the instructions gets dots 'a plenty.

·
Registered
28,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here's a tip that helped me:

Getting the shifter in is a tight fit. So I would take a rubber mallet if you have one. Once you line it up to be put in. Give it a light wack and it should go right in. My car was sitting overnight before my install so I know it wasn't too hot. I didn't have a mallet so I took a cloth folded up and put it over the top, then hit it with my socket wrench.

·
Registered
28,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glogik said:

Getting the shifter in is a tight fit. So I would take a rubber mallet if you have one. Once you line it up to be put in. Give it a light wack and it should go right in. My car was sitting overnight before my install so I know it wasn't too hot. I didn't have a mallet so I took a cloth folded up and put it over the top, then hit it with my socket wrench.
Thanks for the tip. You get 503 dots.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
if you have a rattle or something like that, putting on a trd shiftknob may quiet the noise, i am thinking of getting the shifter. tell me how it works out.

·
Blue Glowie
3,618 Posts
Not sure about the TRD knob, but I have the Leather Altezza and it is a lot quieter than the stock ball.

I just turn my radio up though.. no more whirring. :p

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I filled all around the shifter with bearing greese...a ton of it. Mine has been smooth, with no rattling.

Well, until I got my turbo and the tranny started to give me feedback.

·
Registered
99 Posts
glogik said:

I just installed my GII yesterday. RUBBER MALLET!? :shame: It takes a few tries, but once you have it lined up, it just pops in with a little push. I wouldnt want to risk bending/breaking something down there while wailing "tapping" on it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
1sicIS300 said:
glogik said:

I just installed my GII yesterday. RUBBER MALLET!? :shame: It takes a few tries, but once you have it lined up, it just pops in with a little push. I wouldnt want to risk bending/breaking something down there while wailing "tapping" on it.
To each their own. It worked fine for me. Not to much force, just enough, it's pretty subjective. Use your own judgement.

Maybe you have a different production run where it fits better. I've seen other people comment that it takes more than a "little push", if that worked I never would have used an alternative method.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
1sicIS300 said:
glogik said:

ok dude..if hitting it a few times w/ a rubber mallet is gonna break the shifter...i wouldn't even keep the product...u must shift like a lady while you're racing too?? cuz i'm sure that force is much more than the rubber mallet giving it a little help

·
Registered
442 Posts
lilaznboi said:
1sicIS300 said:
glogik said:

ok dude..if hitting it a few times w/ a rubber mallet is gonna break the shifter...i wouldn't even keep the product...u must shift like a lady while you're racing too?? cuz i'm sure that force is much more than the rubber mallet giving it a little help
wurd! That's a dam good point too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
lilaznboi said:
Whoever said about breaking anything? I said it wouldnt be a good idea to bang it into the sleeve in which it sits, but to each their own. If you feel like banging away at the shifter, more power to ya. But something seems odd, when your shifting, its more of a horizontal motion, opposed to when "tapping" it with a mallet, it seems to be a more of a verticle situation. How are you shifting? :lol:

I'm sure there will be plenty of people that would back me by saying you shouldn't force the shifter into place. bottom line.

·
Registered
28,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alrighty....got it installed. Pretty easy overall. Cut up my hands a few times trying to get those damn clips off. Good thing I just got a new box of Flintstones bandaides. :lol:

I see what everyone was talking about with the whine. Not too bad with the music on, but with it off it's quite noticable.

I think this weekend I'll try wrapping the shaft in dynamat (heh heh...shaft) and see if that helps. What do you guys think?

Also, my stock shift ball doesn't screw all the way down like it did with the old shifter. It's secure, but it just kind of keeps spinning around. Is that normal or did I fvck something up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.