Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am working on a DIY for painting my stockers and I was wodering if anyone has had any experiance using the metalcast paint from duplicolor on our rims. Before anyone goes into hate mode, I am not going with the blue or red or any other craziness just the smoke color. I am also considering just getting some graphite rim paint but I really like the polished aluminum look of the stock wheel and am hoping to keep that.

Opinions and advice please! :bigSmile:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am concerned about the consistancy of it too. I can see it running really easily and I had not thought about the elements. I was planning on clearing over it. What clear is recommended, I was assuming that I should use the automotive clear that is sold in the same general area.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very interested on how this will turn out,

I wanted to do my wheels with the smoke color but ended up
with the tried and proven graphite dupli wheel paint instead.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll borrow a camera tomorrow or this weekend but from what I am seeing, its a waste.

The rim came out textured, and it didn't retain the stock shiny appeal that I was hoping to get. It looks just like a painted rim at present. Overall, not impressed. Waste of time and money. :pissed:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Yellow,

did you use duplicolor adhesion promoter as the clear base? or just a regular ground coat before the smoke metalcast?

theres a video on youtube about this process...check this out

YouTube - Duplicolor MetalCast Paint - ANODIZED COLOR
I used the adhesion promoter and then the wheel clear coat that they sell to top it off, was hoping the clear would do the finish that the paint did not do. Followed instructions to a tee. The Metal cast didn't even start to have ANY visual effect until the wet coat. I may have been too light on the light coats, but it was starting to run near the valve stem so I am not sure what I could have done differently. Unless it would have gone on better had I had the rim in a vertical position. I did everything I could to be shooting across the rim and moving around it..... I will not claim to be a professional spray painter but I feel that I hold my own ok!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the pics that I posted. Been waiting for a sunny day to see if I like it better in direct sunlight.

Full rim shot. I didnt clean it for this one, its how it sat after it was shot.

Closer shot, cleaned up some.

Another Angle.

And this part is completely off topic but relevant to me, any opinions with going two tone on the stockers. My personal jury is still out and I am gunna put this rim on the car and have someone drive around me so I can see it before I make my final decision but I wouldnt mind some feedback.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think they look very nice! Good job!
After seeing them in the sunlight, I got to say that it looks alot better than what I had expected it too. Still has some of the stock shine. In fact, if I had not left the center part unpainted then it would have looked stock. I want a modified look while maintaining the stock cleanliness. So, the sunlight switched up my opinion, its not bad! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
They look nice, I didn't read the whole thread so ignore me if this has already been covered, but if you're worried about the durability of the metal-cast dupli-color makes a clear wheel coating, I'd say go with that instead of the normal clear and you should be ok.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
They look better than I thought they might. I had done my calipers 3 years ago with Metal Cast. They do chip, with impact from rocks and tires shops dropping the rim onto the calipers. I simply touch them up again, but it is evident afterwards.

You may want to try and wet sand them and then rub them with a finishing compound prior to clearing. You will have to test spot this method, and see if you like the finish (this may cause a smoother look, but increase the shiny factor). This will take the spotty finish off from spraying.

You may however like this look.

Rep for tying something different.

Digger08

1 - 15 of 15 Posts