Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as most of you know I had been trying many clutches to work with my setup and not break my R154 trans at my power levels. Finally I came across a clutch which provided me with daily street drivability, in New York style traffic and allowed me to put 650+ RWHP 600+RWTQ to the ground and run a decent 11.09 1/4.

Prior to the GDMAX install the car was making ~500RWHP, had a RPS six puck, and a 3200LB pressure plate, GTE dual mass flywheel (stock flywheel).
The car was very very diffcult to drive. After about a week I could have probably kicked 50 yarders all day with how built up my leg got from that pressure plate, the Chatter was terrible, to get it anywhere near the point where you wouldnt break your teeth if you had your mouth closed required revs. around 3,000rpm. Ended up with a broken trans. which I attest to the clutch, and maybe a bit of my lousy driving.

Run Down:
HKS GD Max Twin Plate for 1JZGTE
Cost of Clutch ~$1700
Additional toyota parts $150

Clutch was installed brand new on my IS300Turbo with ~12000 miles on the car. Initally when it was installed I started the car and noticed the chattering of the disks when I pushed the clutch in. It wasnt terrible, it was only noticable if you knew what to listen for. When the clutch was engaged it was quiet. So to deal with the little bit of noise when I pushed in on the clutch was very easily tolerated.

The pedal effort was less than the stock pedal effort, which to me was unbelievable light. I didnt think there was anyway this thing could hold up with what seemed to be very little clamping force. At that time my car idled around 800rpm. So I put the car in first gear and with no revs at all let up on the clutch. Amazing!!! smooth roll off no jerkyness at all felt almost like the car was an auto trans.

So I took it for a drive and rowed thru the gears. To my surprise shifting was easier and the clutch didnt slip a bit. I then drove the car for about 5K before more upgrades.

Finally when the car was all said and done running about 550RWHP daily, 650 at the track, the clutch was still holding solid with about 12K miles on it. Then we started to really beat it up. We took the car to the track and ran at full boost, 28psi,two step launchs at 5600rpm, 650RWHP, 600RWTQ on C16 with MT/ET on the rear. We made several (4 or 5) low 11's passes in the high 120MPH range. Clutch was holding well no sign of slip. I took the car home put another 5k on it. Hard driving....I was playing around quite a bit with the RLTC and launching the car with the two step at 5600rpm...etc... you get the idea.

Finally returned to the track in Nov of 2006, ran 11.09 at 130 on my first run no slip, then I smoked the clutch doing my burn out in the water box. I didnt have a line loc at the time so I was doing the heel toe power brake and drop the clutch routine, not exactly proffesional but effective. Anyway, I wound up running an 11.5 with the start of some serious slip.

I then drone the car for about another 4k miles pretty hard driving when finally the slip really started getting bad.

The car wound up sitting for a good part of last year because I bought a house so I didnt get time to play with it or to change the clutch.

Finally yesterday I humped my ass down to PFS and changed the clutch out, because my current garage is barley big enough to hold my car and I dont trust the two-bit shops in my area. (thanks again Ray for letting me use your facilities) I had never changed this type of clutch before so it was a bit of a lerning curve for me. Anyway with a little bit of assistance from Sean an Ray they got me thru it. Took about 5 Hours in out and complete. (I did some extra cleaning while I was under there.)

When we I got the clutch out the inner disk that contacts the flywheel was done. All kinds of chunks missing, it sort of fused itself to the middle piece; the sprung hub not the friction surface, it was ugly. The middle friction disk however wasnt bad, still had quite a bit of meat on it. The part known as the center section and pressure plate also were in good condition along with the flywheel.

I could have probably just replaced the two fricition disks for 140 a piece. I didnt know what I would run into so I replaced the entire center section. HKS calls it a rebuild kit which includes "pressure plate and center plate and friction disks". $625

The clutch cover actually contains the clamping spring and is not considered a wear and tear replacement necessity and is not included, nor is the sprung hub middle that the friction disks ride on or the flywheel. Yip you re-use those three integral pieces.

So, I whizzer wheeled the flywheel lightly to get rid of the hot spots, replaced the pilot and throw-out bearings, slave cylinder (had a ripped boot)and cleaned it all up while I was in there.

Get it all back together and voila!! Felt like and Performed like brand new!

Overall I am very impressed with this clutch. So what if it cost more than the trans!! Car now has 38,700 miles on it so I got a bit over 26,400 miles before it needed an overhall.

It felt good to step on the gas and throttle steer my car sideways for a hundred feet or so once again.

Oh....2008 is going to be a fun season at the track ;)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Well as most of you know I had been trying many clutches to work with my setup and not break my R154 trans at my power levels. Finally I came across a clutch which provided me with daily street drivability, in New York style traffic and allowed me to put 650+ RWHP 600+RWTQ to the ground and run a decent 11.09 1/4.
The R-154 that you used? Was it new, used, good, average condition? Rebuilt, etc.? Please give some feedback on your impressions of the tranny and the particular tranny you used? Thanks a bunch.

BTW, as soon as I get it back, I'm going to see how the Exedy twin disk clutch does. (sitting in my garage right now).

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
yours lasted pretty good!

mine was all chunked too - weird. i redid mine as i was redoing everything i decided to throw a rebuild kit in there... i found it pretty easy to change out - i still need to do some good hard pulls on it.

good work my man!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The R-154 that you used? Was it new, used, good, average condition? Rebuilt, etc.? Please give some feedback on your impressions of the tranny and the particular tranny you used? Thanks a bunch.

BTW, as soon as I get it back, I'm going to see how the Exedy twin disk clutch does. (sitting in my garage right now).
My trans is a rebuilt trans by Marlin Crawler. This clutch did spend about 4K miles on my used old junkyards trans with know problem.

This trans is a good trans, holds decent power really, really long gears. Just takes a bit to get used too. As a side note I di notice that I tore the F*** out of the rubber middled bushing on my two piece drive shaft. I need a one piece.. one of these days...

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
My trans is a rebuilt trans by Marlin Crawler. This clutch did spend about 4K miles on my used old junkyards trans with know problem.

This trans is a good trans, holds decent power really, really long gears. Just takes a bit to get used too. As a side note I di notice that I tore the F*** out of the rubber middled bushing on my two piece drive shaft. I need a one piece.. one of these days...
yeah i went with a one piece - i have always gotten a lot of vibration out of it :pissed:

i have been pretty happy with the 154 - it's tough.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yours lasted pretty good!

mine was all chunked too - weird. i redid mine as i was redoing everything i decided to throw a rebuild kit in there... i found it pretty easy to change out - i still need to do some good hard pulls on it.

good work my man!

On my way home I ran into a new M5 with the V10. He wanted to play. I didnt even downshift, I was in 4th gear only doing about 75 and went after giving him about 3 or 4 cars. It was commical....then I realized how funny it was when I saw I was only running at 16psi.... I can still see his car shkaing in my rear view...

Reactions: somguy2u

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i went with a one piece - i have always gotten a lot of vibration out of it :pissed:

i have been pretty happy with the 154 - it's tough.

Your one piece vibrates?? Who built it?

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i have the same setup as tom and i can agree the HKS clutch is pretty dam near perfect. i am using it with a brand new R154 tranny and have had nothing but good things to say. smooth as the OEm setup, but holds a shitload of power.

good write up tom.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have the same setup as tom and i can agree the HKS clutch is pretty dam near perfect. i am using it with a brand new R154 tranny and have had nothing but good things to say. smooth as the OEm setup, but holds a shitload of power.

good write up tom.

Saw Juans' (StageII) car while I was there.. it was lookin good.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
Saw Juans' (StageII) car while I was there.. it was lookin good.
i got it from jeff at TE, i think it's from "the drive shaft shop" 1piece aluminum - mike has the steel and has not reported any problems - is that right mike?

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i do have the 1 piece non-telescoping driveshaft shop one. it has a stamp right on it from DSS.

holding alomost 700WHP fine.

maybe when the new owner gets into it he will post up on here...

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Excellent review. Isn't it great when an aftermarket part performs up to expectations and than some?

Given how comfortable you are now with your r154 setup...would you reconsider the V160 option if given a choice from the beginning again?

+rep

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
from my perspective, the R154 is great. its half the price with clutch than the V160. cant beat that. i dont regret going with the R154 over the V160. and the money i saved was able to be banked for future problems. cant argue with that.

now if you want 1000+ HP, then maybe go ahead and look for another tranny.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent review. Isn't it great when an aftermarket part performs up to expectations and than some?

Given how comfortable you are now with your r154 setup...would you reconsider the V160 option if given a choice from the beginning again?

+rep
Honestly I dont know. I have never driven a six speed.
I just dont know if the cost difference is justified. I also dont know if it would be faster. it is a whole extra shift in the 1/4. My fourth gear takes me to 150 with 7700k redline. The V160 4th gear take you into 120 at 8k redline. If you maintain the 373 rear.

Reactions: ElusiveIS

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
from my perspective, the R154 is great. its half the price with clutch than the V160. cant beat that. i dont regret going with the R154 over the V160. and the money i saved was able to be banked for future problems. cant argue with that.

now if you want 1000+ HP, then maybe go ahead and look for another tranny.
i concur;

i built the motor got a trans and made it all work for the same price as doing a v160 swap - the gear ratio's are (IMO) perfect for a boosted IS, and it's pretty stinkin' tough. the feel is the only thing that i envy in the v160 but i can get over that pretty quickly :)

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
exactly. the V160 is invied becuase its "then end all toyota tranny". but in my eyes, its not needed. sure id like to have one. but i dont think i sacrificed anythign by using the R154. in fact, people like tom and I proved its worth, and proved it holds the power(more tom than I).

id suggest it to anyone wanting more power than the W55 can hold. and i dont recommend the W58 at all. its a waste of time, money, and effort

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Great input guys. And money is always a factor.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great input guys. And money is always a factor.
If I could get my hands on a V161 Id think about it. But i dont have the cash for that right now.

I think id spend it elsewhere though if I had it..

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
NICE TOM!

glad to see you back on track with the car!!!! :approve:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NICE TOM!

glad to see you back on track with the car!!!! :approve:
I realy miss beating up on corvettes and the like.... Hopefully soon, after this snow goes away I can go out and get me some bow-tie dinner. Im thinkin some Z06 would taste good.. The other vettes arent even realy worth my gas. Gas has gotten quite expensive ..ya know?:cool:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts