Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealership is aware of the ECU software upgrade but does not know about the TRAC replacement issue. Should I go ahead with the ECU upgrade alone? Would this help the heistation by itself? From what I understand there is a problem with having the new ECU upgrade with the old TRAC unit, but I always drive with the Traction Control turned OFF... (until winter comes at least)...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: IS-300 ]

·
Registered
75 Posts
My dealer told me that it is pretty much worthless to reprogram without changing out the TRAC. I would find another dealer who knows what they are talking about. Not all Lexus dealers are equally competent.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had my done yesterday (ECU + Trac). You must have both done else it won't work. You guy will love the new responsiveness of the throttle. I'm still amaze...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Got my ECU on order. Funny thing, I told my dealership about the problem and they had no idea what I was talking about. They even offered me to go on a ride with the head tech guy to point it out. I agreed and during the ride he pretty much told me that if there was a problem, he would know about it. So, I figured I was out of luck, but then he checked with the manager and lo and behold, there is an upgrade for the trac/ecu! Well, what do ya know? So, I think they did they trac already, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is all warranty and no customer pay. I hope we figure out all the bugs before my warranty runs out. I have had my IS for 6 months now and already at 18,000 miles. By November I will most likely be at about 36,000 miles. Which means that by about April/May of 2002 my IS will be out of warranty by mileage. 50,000 in 16 months! Wow maybe I drive too much.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I had the trans ECU done first then the trac ECU replaced at a later date.

The trans ECU fix ~does~ work by itself, but Lexus has advised shops not to do the trans ECU software update without the TRAC replacement because the TRAC ECU can "fight" with the trans software. Basically they warned them that if the trans ECU was updated by itself then the TRAC ECU may kick in far too often.

It didn't matter for me since I have trac disabled all the time...

Since the replacement trac ECUs are available now there is not much reason to do one without the other. You should follow the Lexus recommendation of having them both done at once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts