Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to one of the service guy's at Lexus of Tacoma:

The ECU update is just a temporary fix. A second TSB is in the works. This will resolve the problem with the trans. shifting somewhat hard and a minor hesitation after: TSIB EG003-01.

Has anyone heard anything else?

Dan

·
11,062 Posts
Did Brian (service manager) tell you that or just one of the "guys"?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it was Brian who told me... I stopped in and mentioned that the trans. was shifting a little hard in either NORMAL or PWR modes.

DZ

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't even get my IS in to get the update yet.......its been like 3 weeks!!!!!!
is it really that backed up for parts?
(i got my Is at lexus of Tacoma too)

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've had the update for about a 6 weeks and I'm still not happy with the shifting. Seems to behave well for about a week if I reset the computer (dis. neg. term.). The 1/2 and 2/3 shifts seem goofy sometimes. Sometimes it slows down when shifting and sometimes it speeds up while maintaining the same pedal pressure.

I had one instance where I was trying to get across an uphill intersection quickly, so I gave it about 50% throttle - no acceleration. Then I gave it about 80% throttle - no acceleration. It rolled across the intersection at about 25 MPH and didn't start accelerating until I was already through the intersection.

Sometimes I wish I never got the update. I'm going to complain when I go in for the Trac. replacement.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the update about 2 months ago and everything seemed good at first (a definite improvement).
However in the last 2 weeks I started noticing something strange on 2-3 shifts. If I accelerate slowly and especially if it's not constant pedal pressure, I often get a nice jolt on 2-3 shift. (I think A/C was also off each time). It feels like it hesitates for a bit and then engages with a knock.
It's like the opposite of the problem we had before, when if I gave the car more gas while cruising it hesitated, now it's the reverse, if I don't give it enough gas it can't make a smooth shift.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Nhawk ]

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've also noticed the goofy 2/3 shifting. Every once in a while my car hesitates for a split second then lurches forward. Like Nhawk and rubley, I got the ECU update a couple weeks ago.

Keep me posted on the TSB update, if it actualy exists.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I've had the updates, both the ECU and TRAC, for a couple of weeks now and haven't experienced any of the abrupt/rough shifting previously described.

I have noticed smoother shifting in slow moving traffic and the reduction in the instances in which the TRAC activates under normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My experience is somewhere in the middle here. TRAC is definitely much closer to ideal. It will certainly cut in when you get the rear-end a little loose, and maaaaaybe still just a tad too aggressively. But then, I bet I'll think it's just right on wet pavement... My complaint is that it still doesn't *disengage* quickly enough. Tuned for the more average driver who's still getting over the shakes from it cutting in, I guess!

As for my shifting, I agree that the low end behavior is much better, especially at those slow speeds where it used to be most noticeably broken. No real complaints there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Interesting, I have noticed the same thing. At first, all seemed ok, except the Trac is still too sensitive IMO. Now, after driving for a few weeks, the problem seems to be returning. I think these "intelligent" transmissions are brain dead.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Same here. except im not too sure what gear transitions it abruptly shifts at. The sure thing ive noticed on mine is that it usually occurs at gear transitions at 5000 rpm's, both from an agressive stop to go and an agressive throtlle from around 30-40 mph to 5000 rpm's. Anybody else get this? If in fact there is another update, its well needed. The mis shifting seems to be putting alot of stress on the tranny. Another thing i notice is, a lot of the times the tranny doesnt seem to be biting fully, it seems as though there is no full engagement while in gear. I mean it seems like its slipping while in gear. The only reason why i mention this is, I have felt the car really go like just take off in all gears with reall agressive power. Too bad this doesnt happen all of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
RACER-X
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing