Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if im experiencing poor traction (feels like it), sluggish acceleration, bad shifting? Shall i go to my dealer for an update??

would they update for me?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Since we're on the same topic, I went to Tustin Lexus today to get my tracecu done. I brought all my keys and I asked the service lady if I should give her all the keys and she told me no, she dosen't need it. Will anything go wrong, since I didn't give them the keys? What should I do? Thanks.

-JChen-

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was told by the dealership in Salt Lake City that they had recalled the Trac/ECU update because it was faulty. Then I went to Kuni Lexus in Denver today and they ordered it right up for me.
I say to hell with Lexus of Salt Lake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am getting my ecu update this week, The service rep told me they connect the car to a computer hooked to the internet. Any dealer should be able to perform this update.

Something gets replaced on the track update, not too sure what though.

There is a backorder on the track update and some dealers have it and some don't.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I just got the ECU/TRAC update this past Monday, 7/30, from Servco Lexus of Maui.

The ECU sympton is not necessarily poor acceleration, but a hesitation between gears. Mostly 2nd and 3rd gear. It occurs, at least in my car, when I slow down between these gears and then apply the throttle, there's this feeling that the car is indecisive on throttle application.

The TRAC upadate requires a new TRAC unit for the computer and this modifies the sensitivity of the TRAC unit and it's threshold determination of wheel spin.

The results of the update in my car are that the shifting has gotten smoother all-around, but especially in stop and go traffic.

The TRAC no longer kicks in too soon and doesn't apply at the slightest detection of wheel spin. Prior to the update, the TRAC would activate even under the slightest wheel spin on dry pavement.

I don't know I brought all my keys because I read somewhere to do so. My service manager told me it was good that I brought all the keys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am trying to get mine done the Trac update box is on backorder at Len Stoler Lexus. I told the service guys that i was having problems with delay at takeoff and hesitation with shifting sometimes. They went out and drove it, flagged it as hesitation during takeoff...and ordered the update. I guess the ECU update is a software thing...thus the computer on the internet.
Does anyone else think its cool as hell that you can update your cars software over the internet...crazy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
everytime i call warnock lexus my trac ecu will be in "in a couple days". i've been waiting a week and a half. what has to be done to update the ECU/screwy shifting problem?
when i asked my dealer they made it sound like the new trac ecu fixes the problem.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
dp,

No, it does not run slower. I think some people equate the smoother shifting w/the sensation of the car being slower. It's just not as "herky-jerky" when it accelerates under specific operating conditions (i.e. stop-n-go traffic). I don't equate less than smooth shifting w/going faster.

smoke,

I badgered my dealership since Feb. when the first updates were appearing on the mainland. It's taken 6 mos. for me to get the update done.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by g0alie:
I am trying to get mine done the Trac update box is on backorder at Len Stoler Lexus. I told the service guys that i was having problems with delay at takeoff and hesitation with shifting sometimes. They went out and drove it, flagged it as hesitation during takeoff...and ordered the update. I guess the ECU update is a software thing...thus the computer on the internet.
Does anyone else think its cool as hell that you can update your cars software over the internet...crazy.
Its cool as hell unless someone hacks into the computer while they are updating your car's ECU! Let's hope they have firewalls....

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: CiscoGuy ]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Can anybody else jump in here so we can keep beating this dead horse!!!!!!!

The ecu update and new trac ecu are not a fix all for every acceleration problem on the IS.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
spoke with the dealer and they told me to that theres a faulty on the earlier IS's.

guess ill be taking my car in...couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The TRAC unit is a physical part that needs to be replaced. I've heard it characterized by my service manager as a "faulty TRAC unit."

The ECU update is just data that needs to be reflashed onto the OEM ECU.

My dealership just got one TRAC unit in stock, and it was installed in my car. Some of the delays are due to TRAC units being unavailable.

The entire ECU/TRAC procedure took an entire day.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
15 Participants
DYSFUNCTIONAL
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing