Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
22,947 Posts
Here's the exact text of the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)

ECU Reprogramming:

Covered under Technical Service Information Bulletin:
TSIB EG003-01

In the first batch of 2001 IS300's there existed a problem with the ECU / TRAC systems that created some very strange problems for the car. This is actually 2 separate issues; however they are more often than not referred to as a single issue.

The ECU reprogram update affects all IS300s whose VIN number is LOWER/BEFORE 10025186

the problem existing with the ECU was a slight delay during shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears as well as a downshift from 5th to 2nd. Drivers were experiencing jerky and lagged shifting patterns which made for a very uncomfortable driving experience. Drivers have reported smoother shifting since having this reprogrammed.

If your VIN qualifies you for this upgrade, please contact your local Lexus Dealership to schedule an upgrade. Please also be aware that due to a nationwide shortage of these chips that there is often a waiting list to have this done, so be patient.

It is also necessary to have all keys/spare keys present at time of reprogramming so that the keys may also be reprogrammed.

TRAC Reprogramming:

Covered under Technical Service Information Bulletin:
TSIB EG003-01

In the first batch of 2001 IS300's there existed a problem with the ECU / TRAC systems that created some very strange problems for the car. This is actually 2 separate issues; however they are more often than not referred to as a single issue.

The TRAC ECU replacement affects all IS300s whose VIN number is LOWER/BEFORE 10029014

The problem existing with the TRAC was an overly sensitive sensor that would cause the TRAC to be enabled earlier than necessary and at the slightest of wheel spin, even on dry pavement. This caused a power lag during sharp cornering and sometimes on acceleration. The TRAC update requires a new TRAC unit for the computer and this modifies the sensitivity of the TRAC unit and its threshold determination of wheel spin. Drivers reported far less instances where TRAC was invoked after having this replaced.

If your VIN qualifies you for this upgrade, please contact your local Lexus Dealership to schedule an upgrade. Please also be aware that due to a nationwide shortage of these chips that there is often a waiting list to have this done, so be patient.

It is also necessary to have all keys/spare keys present at time of reprogramming so that the keys may also be reprogrammed
Bottom line is unless you're having some serious issues I don't think it's worth $150. That said I thought TSBs were always free.......

I also think if you don't apply to the TSB then reflashing the ECU probably won't do anything.

· Registered
18,849 Posts
Here's the exact text of the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)
Bottom line is unless you're having some serious issues I don't think it's worth $150. That said I thought TSBs were always free.......

I also think if you don't apply to the TSB then reflashing the ECU probably won't do anything.
They do have an expiration date for having it completed by for it to be free of charge.

Just ran into similar situation with an LS430 customer the other day which was in for the Lexus Link Removal TSIB, but they were too late for it and had to pay, however the stupid service writer did it at no charge and our warranty dept had a sh*t fit since it wouldnt go through...:lol:

· Registered
3,471 Posts
If i dont qualify to get the free ecu reflash, is $150 a reasonable price? It seems costly. :(
If you have an 01 or 02 in the VIN range with less than 80k miles, you qualify (but may be cutting it close on the time frame).
If you don't have an 01 or 02 in the VIN range, then you don't need it.
If you have an 01 or 02 in the VIN range with more than 80k miles, I would not pay $150 for it.

I had the TSIB done about a month ago and the only difference I can tell is the occasional hesitation at low RPMs is gone, which isn't worth $150 to me.

· Registered
50 Posts
If you have an 01 or 02 in the VIN range with less than 80k miles, you qualify (but may be cutting it close on the time frame).
If you don't have an 01 or 02 in the VIN range, then you don't need it.
If you have an 01 or 02 in the VIN range with more than 80k miles, I would not pay $150 for it.

I had the TSIB done about a month ago and the only difference I can tell is the occasional hesitation at low RPMs is gone, which isn't worth $150 to me.
i believe they told me 70k when i took mine in for the TSB. You shouldn't pay for the 150 not that much of a difference for the price.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the input, im well over 80k but i do have a 2001, im gonna check my vin# tomorrow when i get to work and give them a call again during my breaks.

again, thanks for replying :)

· Registered
2 Posts
Reflash ECU recently had it done. It had problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd,did not do anything, but recently i clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor and throttle body with Intake Cleaner and the issue went away :). Just be careful while cleaning the MAFS. Use the intake cleaner while blowing moderate air. Replace into intake and idle for five minutes and take it for a test drive.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reflash ECU recently had it done. It had problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd,did not do anything, but recently i clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor and throttle body with Intake Cleaner and the issue went away :). Just be careful while cleaning the MAFS. Use the intake cleaner while blowing moderate air. Replace into intake and idle for five minutes and take it for a test drive.
maybe it is time to clean my maf again. basing on the last two posts, its looks like the reflashing is not worth it:(

· Registered
33 Posts
Well I cant stand the shift issues anymore (after 30,000 miles of owning it), Lexus dealer here in Madison,WI wants $119 for reflash, and its worth the risk for me.

The worst is as you slow down and don't quite come to a stop, then go to take off.....lags for a full second, then practically knocks you into the back seat, really bad as a passenger if you are not used to it like I am.

Getting done this Tues, so I'll repost the results.

MAF and throttle clean kind of helped awhile back, but not completely.

· Premium Member
23,159 Posts
Then you pay diag? Perhaps ask if they could have someone drive it quick and if they think it will take care od it you will have it done but you dont want to pay diagnosis on the flash....

· Registered
3,471 Posts
Then you pay diag? Perhaps ask if they could have someone drive it quick and if they think it will take care od it you will have it done but you dont want to pay diagnosis on the flash....
I think diag alone is like $75 at my local dealer, so between that and the flash I'd definitely just get the flash.

However, as I mentioned back in September, I would not have done the flash if I needed to pay for it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.