Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I reset the ECM after I put on CAI and muffler, do I have to dirve in cold morning or hot noon time? Do I have to drive fast or regular, does computer know the flywheel teeth position (ie piston position)?

I appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Dave :chill:

·
Registered
76 Posts
cold air from the hot engine bay, duh! Reset ecu by disconecting the negative from battery. or return car to seller. one or the other or both.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
They say that because there technically is no cold air intake for the IS. They are all a "short ram" intake by design.

Pull the neg. off your battery, leave it for a minute or two. Hook it back up.

Drive hard (if you're into that) for the first few hundred miles that it's hooked back up. The ECU, to some degree, supposedly memorizes your driving style, i.e. how hard you are hitting the gas to take off, and adjusts it's A/F settings accordingly. (i think...)

So if you drive like a grandma for the first 500 or so miles, you might notice less power than you could potentially have if you drive hard. It's been proven. People have dynoed, flashed their ECU (unplugged the battery) and re-dynoed and shown up with quite a good bit more HP by the numbers... hope that helps you understand a little more. :)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
davefisher said:
They say that because there technically is no cold air intake for the IS. They are all a "short ram" intake by design.

Pull the neg. off your battery, leave it for a minute or two. Hook it back up.

Drive hard (if you're into that) for the first few hundred miles that it's hooked back up. The ECU, to some degree, supposedly memorizes your driving style, i.e. how hard you are hitting the gas to take off, and adjusts it's A/F settings accordingly. (i think...)

So if you drive like a grandma for the first 500 or so miles, you might notice less power than you could potentially have if you drive hard. It's been proven. People have dynoed, flashed their ECU (unplugged the battery) and re-dynoed and shown up with quite a good bit more HP by the numbers... hope that helps you understand a little more. :)
yea, or you could just drive harder or just drive the way you drive if its already hard..

if you reset the ecu too many times, it could end up being bad.

not to mention the lexus ecu will adapt to the driving style anyways. resetting the ecu just wipes the slate clean so to speak.

if you took a granny driven is300 and drove it harder than granny did for a week, it would re adapt.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
btw, there is a cold air intake for the is300.. a few people have them.. all are custom jobs..

whoever said most are short ram is correct tho.. AEM, K&N, INJEN are all short ram.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts