Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and didn't find anything pertaining to these types of ebay replicas.

17" Lexus IS300 Wheels
$574 shipped

Structure: 1 Piece Cast Aluminum Alloy
Size: 17x7"
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3mm
Offset: 50mm
Finish: Painted Hyper Silver & Clearcoated

Since I just bought my IS300 I don't know much about the wheel #'s, I'm assuming the numbers above are identical to factory 17" IS300 wheels?

My 17" wheels are chipping/scratched/stained with what looks to be brake dust spots. The spots were not removed with any of my cleaning solutions so i'd assume it's either eating away at the finish, or embedded into said finish.

Would it be more cost effective to get the original wheels repaired/painted, or to buy these replica wheels off eBay? I know eBay is full of scams and wheels are pretty important so I don't want to be trying to save a buck and end up regretting it later on.

BTW i'm new & just registered. I bought an 02 IS300 with every option except AT. The nav is pretty nice. I have yet to take pictures of it.

:)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Never seen those, good find.

I always thought the stock rims were 17x7.5?

I might buy a set cuz my stock look like crap and 2 of them are bent.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've actually been considering this too. The guy has sold alot of items and has a pretty good reputation score so the wheels are probably good quality. I was thinking about buying these eventually and then having my OEM's repaired and powder coated some other color.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Those look like OEM without the centercaps to me...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I always thought the stock rims were 17x7.5?
the is300 sedan came with 17x7 all the way around and sportcross was staggered with 7.5 in the rear...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would it be worth my time to call up a Lexus dealership or corporate help line to see if there's some way to have my wheels covered since the finish has deteriorated? Or is this considered within normal wear and tear and unprotected.

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
^^ I would think something like that is unprotected.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I actually bought a set of these from him about a month ago. Unfortunately there just sitting in my room waiting for tires but they look great! Ive painted a stock set of wheels gunmetal following similar instructions to those posted above and they dont compare. Ive painted about 6 sets of different wheels in my lifetime so Im pretty sure I know what im doing. Painting them is a cheap method that'll get you by and may even look pretty good but dont let anyone fool you into thinking you can accomplish "factory finish" with spray cans. I went with ebay replicas because I wanted the graphite wheels for the longest on my GGP but a used set is 1) hard to find and 2) expensive due to their limited quantities. So this was clearly the best option for me. I dunno you might be different. Ill take some pics of them on the car if you'd like (if I ever get off my ass and buy tires for them). Id offer to take pics of them now but they wouldnt look any different then what he posted in the listing. Buy the replicas ... my .02 cents :cool:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I purchased a set two months ago. Same price and comes with center caps. I compared them to my friend's OEM ones and there is no visual difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually bought a set of these from him about a month ago. Unfortunately there just sitting in my room waiting for tires but they look great! Ive painted a stock set of wheels gunmetal following similar instructions to those posted above and they dont compare. Ive painted about 6 sets of different wheels in my lifetime so Im pretty sure I know what im doing. Painting them is a cheap method that'll get you by and may even look pretty good but dont let anyone fool you into thinking you can accomplish "factory finish" with spray cans. I went with ebay replicas because I wanted the graphite wheels for the longest on my GGP but a used set is 1) hard to find and 2) expensive due to their limited quantities. So this was clearly the best option for me. I dunno you might be different. Ill take some pics of them on the car if you'd like (if I ever get off my ass and buy tires for them). Id offer to take pics of them now but they wouldnt look any different then what he posted in the listing. Buy the replicas ... my .02 cents :cool:
Very nice, appreciate the response. Pictures don't really matter honestly cause they look identical to OEM and I already have them on my car (albiet scuffed & w/ black spots).

I'm going to look into getting them repaired, powder coated & sanding the highs to a nice finish (see my other thread req pictures of this type of oem paint scheme). Ive seen a few people with this done and it looked really nice, but no ones been able to post pictures cause I've searched my ass off can can't find them again. They were black recesses & sanded highs. Really slick looking.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I purchased a set two months ago. Same price and comes with center caps. I compared them to my friend's OEM ones and there is no visual difference.
from looking at the pictures from that EBay listing they look identical to the OEM wheels. the only thing that may be differnt is the casting on the back sides of the spokes. the OEM wheels have 'Toyota' cast on the inside of one of the spokes and the another has OEM part numbers cast into it. thats going to be the only way you can tell

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Very nice, appreciate the response. Pictures don't really matter honestly cause they look identical to OEM and I already have them on my car (albiet scuffed & w/ black spots).

I'm going to look into getting them repaired, powder coated & sanding the highs to a nice finish (see my other thread req pictures of this type of oem paint scheme). Ive seen a few people with this done and it looked really nice, but no ones been able to post pictures cause I've searched my ass off can can't find them again. They were black recesses & sanded highs. Really slick looking.
thats funny, i think your refering to my wheels lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
You guys mentioned that are no visual differences but are there any ride quality or sound issues?Let me know, I recently hit a pot hole thats killing me financially and I need some wheels. Fighting city coucil seems like a lost cause :(

·
Registered
250 Posts
i had the chrome ebay replica and the chrome flakes and flakes and now theres no more chrome.. and also the aluminum wheels bent easy, i hit a pot hole.. not even a big one and now i got 2 bent rims..

i just bought some ASA AR1 18's.. so im set now.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
i bought a set of replica sportsdesign 17x7 wheels from a seller named "oewheelsllc" about a year and a half ago

no bends or cracks ..however he sent me crap "look-a-like" lexus center caps so i bought oem ones at the stealership

·
Registered
252 Posts
i bought a set of replica sportsdesign 17x7 wheels from a seller named "oewheelsllc" about a year and a half ago

no bends or cracks ..however he sent me crap "look-a-like" lexus center caps so i bought oem ones at the stealership
I bought from the same guy and the wheels also have the machined face. Look much better than my stock beat up ones. The center caps have some funny looking L on them. I still have my stock caps though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
how many different finishes did is300 stock wheels come in? My spare isnt chrome, but it doesnt match whats on there now either... so this leads me to believe that there are at least 3 different finishes for is stock wheels? If anyone could list them that would be great thanks

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
this is a good topic. i'm happy it popped up on here. I've been considering getting the 18" RX 330 replicas for my IS. I can't go through with it. I'm a firm believer in if it's too good to be true... It seems that these would more than likely bend or crack too easily. I could be wrong but for the time being I'm saving up for some Zenetti Fives.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts