Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2002 built in 10/01. My manual transmission is very difficult to engage, shift, clunks and crunches between gears, and shudders when cold. The car only has 18k miles on it... have any of you guys had issues with your early build transmissions?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
AlBoston said:
My car is a 2002 built in 10/01. My manual transmission is very difficult to engage, shift, clunks and crunches between gears, and shudders when cold. The car only has 18k miles on it... have any of you guys had issues with your early build transmissions?
Typical symptoms for all manual ISs.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
AlBoston said:
lambchop11078 said:
Really? I drove an 03 and it didn't have any of those problems. Shifted very smoothly and easy to engage.
When I first got my car, it shifted nice and smooth. About 6 months later I found it hard to shift into 2nd during the cold winter. I still have a hard time shifting in 2nd during the cool summer mornings. But after about 10 minutes of driving, everything is fine. The thump and crunchy shifting happens on every 5 speed IS. My clutch shudders when I slip it from a dead stop. These problems happens to a lot of 5 speed owners so you're not the only one having them.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
i have most of these symptoms too ... i have grown indifferent to it ..
=)

my biggest gripe is during cold mornings, its really hard to put into first (while the car is in motion at around than 1-2mph coming to a stop, or is the car is at a full stop in neutral)

but usually the car drives and shifts the best after you drive it for about half a day and had a chance to really warm up the car ..

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
my tranny has none of this problems except a shudder when i engage under 1000 rpm from a stop. I think you guys should go to the dealer. I have 40k mile.

·
Registered
960 Posts
lambchop11078 said:
AlBoston said:
lambchop11078 said:
Really? I drove an 03 and it didn't have any of those problems. Shifted very smoothly and easy to engage.
When I first got my car, it shifted nice and smooth. About 6 months later I found it hard to shift into 2nd during the cold winter. I still have a hard time shifting in 2nd during the cool summer mornings. But after about 10 minutes of driving, everything is fine. The thump and crunchy shifting happens on every 5 speed IS. My clutch shudders when I slip it from a dead stop. These problems happens to a lot of 5 speed owners so you're not the only one having them.
Maybe your car was always a little stiff shifting but you didn't notice it until 6 months later because the weather cooled down? Just a thought. I've posted this before but cold shifting action can be greatly improved with synthetic gear lube in there like RedLine MT90. Synthetics don't thicken up as much at cold temps as dinosaur based products. It's really a quite noticable improvement.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have none of those problems. My tranny is smooth and precise. I have around 8200 miles and have been boosting since 1800 miles. I don't know if this true as I cannot verirfy the source, but the '03 trannies are supposedly a little stronger than the earlier models.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The only issue I have with shifting is getting the thing into REVERSE!

It pisses me off! :pissed:

Half the time I have to throw the car in 1st and move it forward a few inches then attempt to throw it in reverse again......... not fun.

·
8,880 Posts
B-Lexusfan said:

Half the time I have to throw the car in 1st and move it forward a few inches then attempt to throw it in reverse again......... not fun.
Try doulbe clutching... It works.

·
Registered
589 Posts
B-Lexusfan said:

have you never driven a stick before?

This has happened to me on all the sticks I've driven

a 83 mazda glc, a 91 eclipse gsx, a 95 saturn sc2, a 82 mazda b2200...

d

·
Registered
973 Posts
just got my car back today from the dealer
$14,000.00 in repairs..

tranny and clutch and other little stuff

they fixed the gears grinding and popping out of 4th

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I got my car 8/01 too. hmm