Lexus IS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
^^^^^^LOL LTUNEDX WHAT A POZERR!!!!!11!!

pretty nice turn out for the meet..ill make the next one
old plates :(

gone..but not forgotten :)

Digger08

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Wouldn't squirrel leave claw mark all over his CF hood?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not everyone is going to cares about fast, which is unfortunately for your business. You probably know this, but you serve a very niche market, and clearly most people will never be your customer.
You might be surprised how big this "niche" market is, and how many people do in fact care about "fast". I can assure you there are no shortage of customers looking to "go faster" - from all walks of the car scene, not just Lexus/IS300 guys.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
You might be surprised how big this "niche" market is, and how many people do in fact care about "fast". I can assure you there are no shortage of customers looking to "go faster" - from all walks of the car scene, not just Lexus/IS300 guys.
no doubt about that. Look at the STI group for example.

But with in the IS group (250, 300, 350 and F) there's only a hand ful.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i know, hence the all caps.

Onyx IS300 best.

man if I had the cash.. my car would be boosted right away

everything seems slow when you got a 1400 supra, 500 is300 and 1000camry

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
The ratio of IS250 to IS350/F sold would beg to differ, and confirms that overwhelmingly people does not care to go fast. I agree with you: the IS300 scene is really just a microcosm. I'm sure other platforms has more cars that are aftermarket boosted, as they have larger volume (as IS300 never sold that well). But again, the ratio of aftermarket boosted vs stock will again be miniscule. Really, people mostly care about looks and fuel economy for the most part. Performance is really just a niche market for a small group of car performance enthusiast out of a small group of car enthusiast. A small subset out of a smaller subset = a really small subset.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Not to troll this convo..(which belongs in another thread BTW)

having no tunable/Locked ECU/ ECM's and highly priced turbo kits with extensive remapping required.."nobody got time for that"!

....cannot compete with run and gun affordability of other manufacturers that have lots of basic plug and play/ chipped tunes...

Only the wisest die hard Lexus enthusiasts, can pursue engine swaps, stand alone engine management systems, and frequent tune hiccups. Couple this with Ontario Drive clean, and constant on going tweaking....its no wonder OE's have more factory turbo systems in small displacement engines these days....and not to mention over 10K to properly set the IS300 up.

Digger08

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Stock > best. ANYWAYS.

Thanks everybody for coming out. Surprisingly good turnout considering the horrible weather (though it could have been worse). Those of you who bailed... no excuse to miss future meets when the weather gets better!

I'd also like to suggest: going forward, our winter meets should be somewhere we can seek shelter. Pacific Mall underground (two levels down) is a good candidate. Security won't hassle us if we're just hanging out. Summer meets are to continue outdoors!

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Yup. Sounds like a good idea. Nice to see everyone again, and meeting some new faces!

·
Registered
728 Posts
The ratio of IS250 to IS350/F sold would beg to differ, and confirms that overwhelmingly people does not care to go fast. I agree with you: the IS300 scene is really just a microcosm. I'm sure other platforms has more cars that are aftermarket boosted, as they have larger volume (as IS300 never sold that well). But again, the ratio of aftermarket boosted vs stock will again be miniscule. Really, people mostly care about looks and fuel economy for the most part. Performance is really just a niche market for a small group of car performance enthusiast out of a small group of car enthusiast. A small subset out of a smaller subset = a really small subset.
I'd agree that out of the entire car community (that is, every car owner), the amount that modify is small. Modifications aimed at performance are a piece of that pie, and then extensive performance mods are a piece of the piece of pie LOL.

However, in the newer IS 250/350 community I believe the reason many of them don't go further in performance than an intake/exhaust is because..... there really is not much more they can do! Unfortunately for them, Toyota already took their motors close to the limit and left very little headroom for additional performance such as that gained from turbocharging. Its a trend that many manufacturers are following these days: using engineering to maximize profit by not overbuilding things (which means building them cheaper). Those 4GR/2GR motors while fairly decent in stock NA form leave very little on the table for the enthusiast - they are just weak in pretty much all aspects. I certainly won't be picking up an IS250/350 anytime soon even though its a nice car overall. Its a shame that Toyota has stuck with these motors as the only options for the IS since 2006 - ESPECIALLY not even offering a manual trans for the IS350! They turned the 2IS into more of a lackadaisical commuter than the true sporty enthusiast platform that the IS300 was.

Toyota/Lexus aside, all you need to do is look at the Honda enthusiast community for example and you will see just how many want to, and do "go faster". Their community is far larger than this one and there is a very strong interest in anything performance related. Granted some of them are kids in rusted out POS's, but there are far more serious ones out there that have spent $$$$ on their cars.

·
Addict
3,428 Posts
Tony. Again didn't get to chat much. :(. In better weather hopefully. Still. Tony wore what I basically saw out of the corner of my eye was a tshirt!!!!

Can't wait for a meet where weather is good. I'm getting tired of just driving the 4runner all the time. Yearning for some FRS!!!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Meh, winter mode. Cannot be bother to put on summer bumpers. No one to impress. Not everyone is going to cares about fast, which is unfortunately for your business. You probably know this, but you serve a very niche market, and clearly most people will never be your customer.
My hobby is tinkering with cars, and making power is probably the most technical aspect of building and modding a car. I am a very technical person, and at car meets, I like to talk about cars, discuss about builds, and elaborate on current technology that can be implemented on our current rides (anything goes, from LED retrofits to billet turbos). A Lexus meet is the last place I think about business, when the Lexus crowd is below 2% of my overall market.

Feel free to express yourself, it's not like you have to be making big power and going fast; although you shouldn't be losing motivation to make your car better unless you just don't care anymore.

The automotive industry is about being green (fuel economy/emissions), being practical (cheap to purchase, run and stay reliable) and having luxury. Then the one that can do all of the above and go faster than everyone else is the industry leader. Power and performance is important if you are a car guy.

That's why people modify cars or have the motivation to build their own cars. There is no car that I can "buy" now that will make me happy in stock form.

My IS300 was great, and kept me happy for all these years since '06. Every few years, I bump up the power to stay above the average M/AMG/V8/etc...
Having a sleeper is nice, because it allows you to to start from the bottom and work your way up to the top. The enjoyment process is 10/10.

My winter car is actually an Evo 9... The forum had limited lines for signature, so I couldn't include all my cars in my sig. It makes 535 WHP with a GTX3076R. There are enough drivers out there that still wants to be fast in the winter, and most of these guys drive like a$$holes too. My Evo helps keep the stress levels down on my daily commute :bigSmile:

Don't lose the motivation to go quicker!

I am always serious about going fast and looking good.. My Evo sits like this in the winter right now:

·
The Furious
7,271 Posts
A lot of off topic but interesting discussion here.

Tony the tiger was wearing a t-shirt in that weather? Holy damn....

Maybe a covered lot is a good idea. When is the next meet... Korruption?!

·
Registered
14 Posts
A lot of off topic but interesting discussion here.

Tony the tiger was wearing a t-shirt in that weather? Holy damn....

Maybe a covered lot is a good idea. When is the next meet... Korruption?!
Tony's crazy wearing a T-shirt in that weather that night...it was so cold and windy!

101 - 120 of 125 Posts