Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought you sold the IS
I had to finish the car prior to delivering it. I had it apart this winter.

odd you posted this up isboostbypsi and I were just talking about E85 yesterday
Interested in what everyone is doing as well
The car picked up 30hp over pump gas and 14hp over race gas at the same boost levels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Might I suggest calling John Reed and asking his advice or contacing him on AIM. He has tuned thousands (literally) of Supra's on E85 and has plenty of experience.

His AIM is jreedracing13, tell him that Jon aka Shizzy sent you and he will respond. He just got done tuning a F430 TT lol.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
i always thought stock could handle it just fine. i always thought that e85 was easier to ignite than gasoline.

i was looking into ignitions a while back, the people that really replace ignitions are the bimmer guys - i read a lot of interesting stuff on them over in their forums (some of them even know what they are talking about).

i kept looking around though and most supra guys run stock ignition plus the hks for UBER horse power.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's what I thought too. My stock ignition was fine at 600+hp and 30psi, and now it won't take 20psi on e85.

SF is saying to run plugs with a heat range of 8-10. I run #7 plugs so I don't see what dropping another degree will do. Plus, we tuned a NA-T Supra with stock ignition (distributor setup), bkr7es, and a DLI, and made 700hp easy on e85.

So, I have no clue what's up.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
you can try this, but there's no guarantee - use a non-resistor plug. our cars typically can run them just fine. the only issue i ran into was that i could connect to the ems with the laptop and drive the car at the same time, but the car ran fine on them. it would give you a few more volts in the ignition circuit, it could tell you if that's what you need or if the problem lies elsewhere at the very least. they are super cheap too, which helps. i used the NGK 4091 - NGK Spark Plugs 4091 - NGK Racing Spark Plugs - Overview - SummitRacing.com - it will have a few issues, but if your ems is tuned right they work freaking great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.