Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...i know this is a dumb question, but, i've always wonderd this. i have an 01 E shift. now, say i'm in 2nd...the lowest gear you can get in with the E shift. now, when i get to the desire RPM's, like 5k, should i take my foot off the gas, shift, and reapply my foot on the gas...kinda like a manual? also, does this harm my trans by doing this? and, is the correct way to E shift by applying gas to ___ RPM's...probably 5k, keep my foot on gas, and shift? any info will be helpfull. thanks guys.

·
Registered
640 Posts
i almost always drive with my E-Shift and i have an 01' aswell. i usually shift around 5900 and when im gonna shift i take my foot of the gas and as soon as i shift i stomp on it and i feel alot of pick up. It kicks back hard feels like a manual, and i havent had any problems. if im not mistakin there are fourms on this and thats why i do it. Also if im crusin with the e-shift like on 4th at about 4000 rpm, i downshift to 3rd and then it picks up fast also then shift up normally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
E-shift works by picking the "most suitable" gear between 1 and whatever number you've selected. So if you've gotten to 5k RPMS or more from a stop, it should automatically shift up for you into 2nd gear from 1st gear. There's no clutch pedal so I dont think you need to take your foot off the gas or do any of that, just shift up at the desired point. I don't think it damages the transmission, after all the e-shift mode is the computer simulating what a manual would feel like - the car doesn't actually have a manual tranmission

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
You dont need to take your foot off the gas pedal, and if youre considering Transmission/Engine life, you shouldnt drive it that way.

A lot more stress goes into both parts when you completely let off the gas and then jam it again. lol If you want it to 'sound' like youre shifting, I suggest trading it in for an 02 manual (probably not cost effective tho)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
lp2058 said:
i almost always drive with my E-Shift and i have an 01' aswell. i usually shift around 5900 and when im gonna shift i take my foot of the gas and as soon as i shift i stomp on it and i feel alot of pick up. It kicks back hard feels like a manual, and i havent had any problems. if im not mistakin there are fourms on this and thats why i do it. Also if im crusin with the e-shift like on 4th at about 4000 rpm, i downshift to 3rd and then it picks up fast also then shift up normally.
Your transmission must hate you.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Really, it's not needed to let up on the gas when using E-shift....it's still an automatic it just makes it feel your diving a manual as you go thru the gears. ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Not really. If you do not let up on the gas while upshifting, the car will jerk a bit in contrast to if you let up the gas while upshifting, there will be no jerk.

The jerk feels bad and weird, and the shift becomes smoother if you let up on the gas.

Any inputs?

·
Registered
745 Posts
The mild jerking feeling is normal. There is no need to take your foot off the gas when selecting your top gear.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Like said up above... if you are going for the "sound" of the manual, this is a bad way to do it. Also you get your trans line pressure up from your engine rpm being up. So I would say keep it mashed and shift. None of this letting it fall off, shift and punching it again.

·
Registered
771 Posts
if you want it to feel more like a manual with crisper shifts in an e-shift... just get an Electronic Shift Kit from turboeast

1 - 12 of 12 Posts