Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all:

I'm considering purchasing an IS300. After comparing it to the competition I feel (like many of you) that the Lexus is the best for me.

One quick question though - maybe one of you guys who own one can help out...I just read on a website that the e-shift feature can't be used in first gear. In other words, e-shift is usless until the car is in second gear, and that you can't downshift from second gear into first gear with e-shift. I test drove one last week and was almost certain that I took off from a stoplight using e-shift and in first gear, shifting then from first to second. I think I would have noticed if I couldn't utilize first using e-shift, but at the same time I was looking at other things about the car too, so it's possible I overlooked something.

Anyway, just seeking a little clarification. Maybe I'll see some of you guys on the road soon!

Best regards and Happy New Year!

mike

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
My understanding of it is that the E shift cannot be downshifted to first gear though it does start out in first. The display # is the highest available gear, not necessarily the gear you are currently in. I'm sure someone else can explain it better or correct me if I am mistaken.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
the eshift window displays the highest gear possible, so if you have it in 2, and start your car off, it will be in first and then shift to second, but you cannot downshift into 1st. also when you put it into M mode, the eshift shows 5th gear, but you still sart at 1st and eventually get to 5th, when you put it into m mode and leave it at 5, the car will act like it is in d mode, automatically shifting for you, it jsut holds each gear a little longer i believe. the thing that bugs me, is the fact that when you are using the shift gate, like when you are racing, you cannot shift into 4th. when i race, i turn trac off, power on (i leave this on anyways) and shift down to L, then when i get the signal, i stomp it, wait until i near 5300-5500rpm and shift to 2nd, then 5300rpm and shift to 3rd, then 5300rpm and shift to M, which is basically 5th gear by default, so i can't hold the 4th gear as it is autmatically shifted for me. it is annoying but the race is almost over by then anyways. and also when i am in M i cannot downshift unless i use eshift to go down to 4th and then i can move the gate into 3rd and so on.

[This message has been edited by DonCorleone (edited January 01, 2001).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
mikegil,

It's a really good time to buy an IS300 (if you want an automatic trans) because the price is REALLY dropping, big time.

You should be able to get yours for nearly invoice price.

------------------
99 M3
01 CL Type-S

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone for your help!

i'll probably go for another test drive next weekend when I get back in town. If I still like it then I'll probably get one. I'm thinking blank with the black leather/suede interior with the graphite rims.

I'll post an update next weekend.

thanks again!

mike

·
Registered
816 Posts
(I'd never thought I'd be on this particular soapbox, but...)

mikegil,

Even though your primary interest is in the IS300, you shouldn't overlook a price competitor, the Acura CL-S. It offers equals parts of value but with a greater emphasis on horsepower and luxury features. Its higher ground clearance and FWD drivetrain/weight distribution will be easier to cope with during snowy winters, if those are normal in North Carolina.

Prices have also dropped ridiculously to the point where it can be had for BELOW INVOICE (dealer holdback of some sort allows for this). Also rest assured that this is not due to any anticipation availability of new options (the manual tranny in the IS300's case; the CL-S won't likely ever get a manual), so you won't be missing out on any future choices.

What was the best choice for me and others on this particular forum may or may not be the best choice for you. Scrupulous comparison will allow you to commit to a car that won't make you feel like you have to constantly justify it to other people afterwards.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited January 01, 2001).]

·
11,061 Posts
I believe the dealer holdback is something like $600...so the dealer gets that much even if he sells it at invoice cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts