Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Anyone find the E-Shift hard to use? When I test drove the IS, I couldn't shift to 2nd gear until after I made the right turn where I could located the botton and press the upshift.

Also, are half of you guys (50%) waiting for the manual shift? My friend M3 EVO said the Toyota manual tranny is sweet and clutch travel is shorter than his M3, making it easier to shift.

Thanks,
Jimmy
'95 325i

·
Registered
104 Posts
The buttons can be hard to find during a turn, but then why would you want to shift gears while turning a hard corner, anyway? Be patient or hit second before entering the turn, and downshift when accelerating after you straighten out.

If you're so concerned with performance, learn to steer with a hand always near a shift buttono.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've found the e-shift to be useful when trying to pass people or just get better control of the car. I'll have my 1000 mile service saturday, and after that I can really try out the e-shift. I am still afraid to use it now during cornering, because I don't know how high the rpm will go if I downshift and I don't want to exceed 4000rpm.

·
Registered
654 Posts
How did you shift into 2nd gear? E-shift isn't really like other manumatic transmission I don't think, which allow you to select a certain gear, but rather allow you to choose the range of gears you want to use. For instance, whenever you go into e-shift, it starts at 5, not fifth gear, but 1-5 according to speed, so 5 is essentially the same as automatic. Downshifting to 4,3 and 2 (there is no 1,) lets you set the highest gear it will automatically shift to but doesn't stay at 4th, 3rd, or 2nd gear if you're going to slow. In other words, e-shift is similar to automatic than anybody would really like.

P.S. I prefer a manual IS too, but I figure I could sell next year and not lose too much money. :/

·
Registered
591 Posts
Daniel,

You sure are taking that "Break-In Period"
Serious huh??

Don't fret, We spoke with several of the
Mechanics at Lexus when we picked up our car.
I asked about that break-in section in the manual...
They "All" said don't worry about "Breaking"
this car in.
But they also said "Not" to "continously"
"Over-Rev" the engine or go on "Long" trips
using Cruise Control until the 1000 miles are
on the car.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Originally posted by shadoh6:
How did you shift into 2nd gear? E-shift isn't really like other manumatic transmission I don't think, which allow you to select a certain gear, but rather allow you to choose the range of gears you want to use. For instance, whenever you go into e-shift, it starts at 5, not fifth gear, but 1-5 according to speed, so 5 is essentially the same as automatic. Downshifting to 4,3 and 2 (there is no 1,) lets you set the highest gear it will automatically shift to but doesn't stay at 4th, 3rd, or 2nd gear if you're going to slow. In other words, e-shift is similar to automatic than anybody would really like.

Shadoh6,

E-Shift "Will" stay in the gear you put the
car in no matter how slow you're going.
Also, E-Shift "Will Not" shift up until you
shift up manually.
My experience is that when the car is in manual it is "Very Close" to being a Manual!
Close enough for us. Because I HATE shifting
gears.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
smra, I think the true operation of "e-Shift" is somewhere between your description and shadoh6's.

shadoh6 said:
"rather allow you to choose the range of gears you want to use."

and you (smra) said:
"E-Shift 'Will' stay in the gear you put the
car in no matter how slow you're going."

I think your point is wrong. If you put e-Shift in "5" and drive real slow the car will in fact use the lower numbered gears and only work its way to 5th gear as you gain speed.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Well, I kind of destroy my eclipse engine last time by playing around too much so I am just being conservative this time. I actually am not obeying everything the manual says about the break-in period. The only thing I do follow is not letting the rpm go too far beyond 4000rpm (very tempting though).
Back to the topic, I also find that when you are in the e-shift mode, it waits til the last second until it downshifts to the lower gear (though it does downshift). It just feel a little bit different, but I haven't really used the manual mode that often yet. I will start to do so after tomorrow.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
smra, I think the true operation of "e-Shift" is somewhere between your description and shadoh6's.

shadoh6 said:
"rather allow you to choose the range of gears you want to use."

and you (smra) said:
"E-Shift 'Will' stay in the gear you put the
car in no matter how slow you're going."

I think your point is wrong. If you put e-Shift in "5" and drive real slow the car will in fact use the lower numbered gears and only work its way to 5th gear as you gain speed.

TEG,

I think you're RIGHT!

I wouldn't know because everytime I've gone
into manual "On The Move" I've been going at
least 45mph....
And the times I've used manual from a "Stand
Still" I've always "Thumbed Down" to Second Gear before driving off......

Thanks for the Heads Up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts