Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do all of you manual transmission folks feel about e-shift? Has it just become a gimmick, or are you satisfied with it? Do any of you wish you would have waited for the manual in 2002?

I have a feeling that I would love e-shift at first, but would start wishing I had the manual after a few months.

thanks in advance,

Jeff

·
Registered
978 Posts
For break-in period (1000 miles) I didn't touch the E-Shifters. But since then, I've played around with it a bit and I am having some fun. I use it sometimes to accelerate, but I think the best place to use it is when you're cornering. I love it when I go into a turn and shift it down to "2" and feel the kick. But after having driven stick for 6 years, it still takes a little getting used to.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good for cornering like SpectraBlueIS300 says, or for a bit more deceleration potential in variable freeway traffic, allowing you to slow down just that much more without activating telltale brake lights...

I also use it to hold a gear when I know I'll need more acceleration from that gear in just a moment, but when the auto tranny would otherwise have decided to upshift me. You know, leave a light a couple of cars back, picking up speed through to third gear pretty quickly, then wait for a gap to open in the lane next to you, then resume (smartly!) acceleration in third until you're where you want to be. A couple of seconds of that without E-shift and you'd be kicking it back down to third from fifth before you could take advantage.

I managed to lose second gear on a '75 Camaro auto by repeatedly downshifting with the auto gear selector, so I'm a bit leary of over-using the E-shift. On the other hand, unlike the Camaro the IS300 tranny is designed for this use...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the e-shift and engine braking extensively to de-accelerate when coming to red-lights.

Is e-shift intended for this type of engine braking or is it more for engine braking on hills and down-shifting to get higher h.p. when passing?

Thanks,

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's not a ferrari F1 gearbox.

[Gratuitous language removed by TEG]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
108 Posts
I keep the stick in Manual mode most of the time and use the e-shifters when I need them. Fourth gear has a nice power range for sliding through messy traffic.

·
Registered
250 Posts
For those of you who say that you like it for downshifting in/comining into a turn, how do you deal with the weight transfer of the downshift without being able to match engine revs to speed? I come from many years of manual transmissions and my only complaints with the e-shift are that I can't speed match and that I can't select 1st with the buttons.

I use the e-shift when I'm out playing, but for normal commute type stuff I leave it in regular automatic mode.

Terry

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The eShift is no substitute for a manual.

There are reasons to like an auto trans - and the IS300 has one of the best out there. _Very_ smooth. Quick to shift.

It is impressive that much of the time I don't even realize when it has shifted (unless I watch the tachometer).

·
Registered
511 Posts
E Shift sucks! I think it's lame and boring. It's like fake manual... you press the button and you have that CPU time delay. It takes away from the entire shifting gears feel. I can't peel 1st 2nd and 3rd like used to with my 5sp RX7. I think Id rather have radio controls there. I dont even bother to use it. Some may like it.. but dont see the advantage of having it. Id rather drop gears and listen to my engine. Thats jus my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by rarjoon:
E Shift sucks! Id rather drop gears and listen to my engine. Thats jus my 2 cents
Ebay circa August 2001:
"Lexus IS300 for sale. Auto. Driven like a race car through the potholes of Queens - I mean babied and garage kept. Call Rarjoon."

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Cornering is definitely the best use. However, my favorite use (GS 400 and 230 Kompressor) has been a double shift from 5 to 3 when I'm on the freeway or interstate and some jackass is driving mindlessly in the left hand lane and I have a narrow gap to move around to the right and back in the left so I don't have to sit behind this idiot.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
Cornering is definitely the best use. However, my favorite use (GS 400 and 230 Kompressor) has been a double shift from 5 to 3 when I'm on the freeway or interstate and some jackass is driving mindlessly in the left hand lane and I have a narrow gap to move around to the right and back in the left so I don't have to sit behind this idiot.
There's plenty of those sorts of drivers in Chicago. I'm actually considering a pre-owned SLK230 or a new IS300. How do you or any of you readers like a '98 SLK.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I think you will get more use and value out of the IS. The SLK is very cool and competent but damn it's small.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts