Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The computer actually does that for you already....you just don't really it.

Try do a hard acceleration and you'll notice it

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dude wrote
The computer actually does that for you already...

I think I remember reading about electronic throttle control on this car (or am I remembering the Audi brochure). Does the IS have this and if so does anyone know how it works. I have noticed that even with the key off, the accelerator pedal moves the throttle. I noticed this because I thought the cable looked loose at the throttle body so I was curious how much pedal movement was needed to take up the slack (turns out that it wasn't much).

Any insight??

Terry

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought the IS has drive-by-wire throttle also. In that case, there wouldn't be any direct linkage between the pedal and the throttle. I know BMW 7 series has this, but not sure about other models.

·
Registered
626 Posts
IS 300 does have a drive by wire throttle. When I took my car in for the 1k check up the service rep advised me that was one of the reason I was feeling the hesitation somewhat.

I have no clue what the hell they are. In either case the car is fast enough for me.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by ISFAN:
IS 300 does have a drive by wire throttle. When I took my car in for the 1k check up the service rep advised me that was one of the reason I was feeling the hesitation somewhat.
A drive-by-wire throttle is supposed to quicken response by removing the mechanical linkage. Sounds like a very poor rationalization from the service rep.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
387 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
A drive-by-wire throttle is supposed to quicken response by removing the mechanical linkage. Sounds like a very poor rationalization from the service rep.

I totally agree. I think the sales representive is trying to fool ISFAN. I think the real reason for hasitation is the transmittion searching gears, not the throttle.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That is what I thought. I either case, he said that I can not expect a response like a sports car and they could not duplicate the condition.

I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool. The reason I asked is because when I was test driving the IS, I was playing with the e-shift while the pedal was to the metal, and it jerked a bit when I upshifted. I've been a little afraid of doing it with my own car.

--k

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have also noticed when I am in the e-shift mode and really get on the gas, sometimes the car shifts by itself anyway.

There have also been times where I would get close to red line and then i would hit the button and the car would not shift, or delay for some time and I would have to let off the gas. You really need to be paying attention while in that mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
ISFAN
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing