Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the difference between the mileage of driving automatic vs. sports shift? is there a difference? i heard that using the sportshift uses more gas, but it makes sense that driving manual would get better mileage? Any answers? Thanks

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by Malnodnarb:
does anyone know the difference between the mileage of driving automatic vs. sports shift? is there a difference? i heard that using the sportshift uses more gas, but it makes sense that driving manual would get better mileage? Any answers? Thanks
Sportshift is not like driving a regular stick tranny...all Sportshift does is allow you to "tell" the tranny when to shift. Kinda like moving the auto lever from L-2-3-D or whatever letter/number designation is there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Like Hibboy said... eShift just gives you the control of telling the computer when to shift gears... as for gas milage... I don't think it makes that much difference... at least, I haven't observed any significant differences.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
And I believe the reason that stick gets better mpg than auto is that it gets more power to the ground and weighs less. So you still have the inefficiency and weight of a regular auto tranny. And if you are getting worse mpg then it is probably because you use the Sportshift to push the engine into the RPMs...where they belong. =Þ

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Crap...I forgot my sig...apply it to my previous 2 posts. Thanks.

------------------
By making this post I am not claiming to be an expert of any sort on the topic and should not be taken as such. It's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
One big reason why autos get worse mileage (generally) is that they have a torque converter.

Modern "lockup" torque converters and 5-speed autos have helped get the autos alot closer in the highway mileage department, but they are still using more fuel around town because some of the power is just swirling fluid around in the torque converter at slow speeds.

And yes, the extra weight hurts too...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
And with Lexus e-Shift you are still "stuck" with the torque converter, so it is basically auto-trans mileage, not manual-trans mileage.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i got a question...
how come my transmission box is weird. (maybe its the gearbox and the trans.) when i'm going uphills or sometimes going straight accelerating (both in auto and m-mode), when the gearbox shifts how come its like shakes a little. like it didnt shift into the right gear. stops maybe 1-2 sec then shift into next gear. whats going on with my trans.? is it broken? i have been driving very carful my driving. when i drive in m-mode, i shift between 3-4k, is this right? but what should i do now?

help me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts