Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I race shifter karts and thus know and appreciate the atributes of sequential shifting. I just got my IS300 the other day. I had traded in a whale (Intrepid ES) for this car and believe it or not there is one thing that the Chrysler had that the Lexus does not, an electronic shift that works.

I find the IS300 e-shift to have the following problems:

#1) It downshifts when you don't want it to, like when your pulling out to pass and only want to use torque becuase you don't want to startle the quite passenger (kids)...but noo.. the engineer at Lexus thought he could do better.

#2) It won't upshift if you are hard on the acclerator and don't want to use the top 10% of the power band but would still like to take advantage of the torque curve, but nooo...the engineer at Lexus thinks he knows better.

#3) While I understand that it would be a bad idea to let the customers downshift into 1st, it would be nice to let us decide when the upshift to 2nd takes place. But nooo, you know who thought he would do the honor better.

If anyone knows a fix, let me know.

Geoleo

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Originally posted by Geoleo:

If anyone knows a fix, let me know.

Geoleo

Get the manual.

------------------
--==Impatiently waiting for my SBM 5sp Manual and the Nasdaq to double==--

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It's simply a gadget design so that the driver has the option of shifting on the steering wheel instead of using the stick.

As far as what you really wanted, it's a total different system.

Haven't you tested the IS300 out thoroughly before you actually bought it????? Ummmm......

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The last thing you would want is for the e-shift to interpret upshifting for you as this defeats the purpose. Yes, downshifting is slightly annoying but my fix is for you to more actively work the gears and not get lazy by leaving it in 4 or 3. If you are really annoyed with the imprecision use the gate, it's true.

[This message has been edited by brad (edited December 04, 2000).]

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yeah, e-shift sucks; that's a fact. It's really just a gadget, if not a sales gimmick, that gives a car a sportier feel since it emulates a manual, but I hope you didn't expect something so sophisticated and precise like Ferrari's clutchless manual.

Nothing beats the third pedal. Umm... except maybe Ferrari's clutchless...hehe

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't do too much freeway driving, but I actually like the e-shift (albeit, I'm no expert on the subject). I don't use it as a full-blown manual. You're right. That would be annoying. I do, however, like to use it when cruising down a street with a 40mph speed limit. Keep the puppy in M2-M3 and it's a kick. Yes, it's a gadget...but all of the others I've experienced (including BMW and Porsche) are too. Can't comment on Chrysler...never used it.

------------------
-jb-
'01 Black Onyx

·
Registered
95 Posts
eshift does suck compared to stick. I think it is wayyyyyyy better then having a plan old auto. In regards to the Eshift being a sales gimik pleaseeeeeeeeee Type R and Type S badges are a sales gimick( direct to Geoff hehehehehe) Eshift is fun to play with and comparing it to the Ferrari system is pretty dumb, clutchless auto is a totally defferent setup and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more expensive. If you hate eshift learn to drive stick and shut the hell up. I would complain about the IS since you did have an intrpid now that something that sucks..........One thing Chrysler had that Lexus didnt is the Acclaim now thats engineering at its best......You can take a Domestic owner out of the Domestic, but you can never get the domestic out of the owner.......

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The Alfa Romeo Selespeed only adds about 2k to the price tag, so it wouldn't be *that* much more than an automatic transmission option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts